IT seems on paper like deja vu or Groundhog Day.

Warrington Wolves had a lead for most of the game only to collapse when the heat came on at the back end.

But this felt rather different.

Unlike similar collapses against Salford and Hull KR in the past month, this game was taken out of their hands by a better side.

Huddersfield had the ball for 11 more minutes.

Before the crucial try that got the Giants within two, Wire held out for five sets only for Theo Fages to send Innes Senior in for a try in the corner.

A jinking Will Pryce score on 70 minutes was followed by Owen Trout running through the middle for the game securing effort minutes later.

As the hooter went, the Wire players sank to their knees.

But there was no questioning their efforts at The John Smith's Stadium.

Bad news came before even arriving across the Pennines as George Williams was forced to pull out with a migrane.

It forced a reshuffle with Peter Mata'utia into the halves and Connor Wrench back in the starting line-up.

And Wire started well, Matt Dufty, hugely impressive on debut, slipped Jack Wardle in from short range and with Stef Ratchford punishing Huddersfield indiscipline, it was 12-4 as half time approached.

Warrington Guardian:


However Adam O'Brien darted in from acting half as the break approached to give Wire a slender 12-10 advantage.


READ MORE > Powell on the deja vu of Warrington defeats

READ MORE > Wire loss to Huddersfield as it happened

Yet even then there was a feeling this week would be different.

Matty Ashton scored twice within 15 minutes, first scorching in from an interception, then latching onto good play from Mata'utia to dive into the corner.

Warrington Guardian:

Then came perhaps the key moment.

Ratchford slid a grubber in and it looked like Dufty would pounce on it and score before he was blocked.

But the referee played on and from Huddersfield's seven tackle set, Joe Bullock was deservedly sin binned for a similar misdemeanour on his line.

Warrington Guardian:

When he came back on 10 minutes later, Wire were behind and they never looked like getting back into it.

For the last 15 minutes they barely saw the ball as Huddersfield, now firmly in the top four, took control.

And the tests keep getting tougher.

Wire go to Wigan on Friday before what could be a crucial clash with Toulouse the week after.

Beating the French side at home will almost certainly end any prospect of relegation. But lose that game and this terrible season could get even worse.

On the positive side, Dufty looks a great signing, very quick and skilful. Positive news from his scan on Monday could be a welcome start to Wigan week.