FANS hoping to see their Warrington Wolves heroes in Australia have had mixed fortunes.

Some from Warrington on holiday in Sydney have bumped into the likes of head coach Tony Smith and new signing Roy Asotasi, while one supporter who lives in Queensland ended up in hospital rather than meeting up with the team he saw win the Challenge Cup Final at Wembley in 2012.

Joiner Mark Giblin, aged 27, a former Woolston High School pupil, seemed delighted to cap his holiday of a lifetime by having the opportunity to chat and have pictures with some of the club’s huge stars.

Warrington Guardian:

Mark Giblin with Roy Asotasi


Warrington Guardian:

Mark Giblin with new Wolves full back Matty Russell


But 72-year-old Eddie Carey’s hopes of a catch-up faded after a fall left him in hospital with cuts and bruises.

Ex-Greenalls employee Eddie, who emigated to the Gold Coast from Latchford in 1968, had flown into Sydney for a party with England’s Barmy Army cricket supporters at the end of the England 5-0 test series whitewash to the Aussies.

Eddie said: “I was at the Barmy Army farewell party at Darling Harbour in Sydney and about 3am I decided I was tired and to head for my hotel.

“As I was walking over Pyrmont Bridge I tripped and banged my head on a seat and was taken to the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in sydney for five hours.

“I was planning to stay in Sydney for a few days as the ‘Wire’ had flown in that night but have had to fly home to the Gold Coast. I will miss seeing them training in Sydney, that is really upsetting me.”

Warrington Guardian:

Eddie in hospital


Warrington Guardian:

Eddie with England cricketer Stuart Broad at the Barmy Army farewell reception


He did try to meet up with them though.

“When I was released from hospital the first place I went to was the home of the Roosters just in case the ‘Wire’ were there but was told they wasnt there so I was feeling a little sore and booked my flight home to the Gold Coast for later that day.

“I’ve seen the photos on the Guardian website of the players at Redfern and if I had not had this accident I would have been there.

“I can not afford to go back again so will miss seeing my idols in Aussie.”

Carey was one of hundreds of ex-pats who converged on Redfern Oval for Wolves’ match against South Sydney Rabbitohs at the end of their last training camp Down Under two years ago.

Warrington Guardian:

Eddie, now back home on the Gold Coast


Any fans who bump into Wolves in Australian can send their pictures and details to