Mossley 2 Warrington Town 2

A WONDER strike by midfielder John Bennett two minutes from time denied Warrington Town a much-needed win at Mossley.

Craig Robinson's header looked to have earned Town only their second victory in eight games, before Bennett lashed a shot first time straight in to the top corner from 30 yards.

It was a little harsh on Town, who had performed much better than in recent weeks, but had to settle for a 2-2 draw that will increase the hopes of those gunning for a play-off place in Evo-Stik First Division North.

Town had the best of the territory and possession in the opening 20 minutes, without really threatening, a handful of Scott Metcalfe free-kicks either cleared, claimed by the goalkeeper or hit harmlessly wide.

Ben Wharton perhaps should have done better when Mossley failed to deal with a bouncing ball, the out-of-sorts striker aiming an air shot at the ball which ended up being claimed by Mossley's Russ Saunders.

Mossley's only threat of the first half came shortly after the half hour mark, on the counter attack, the ball eventually worked to the left hand side, where Tom Pratt fired well wide with his weaker foot.

The introduction of Ciaran Kilheeney six minutes in to the second half seemed to spark Town in to life, and it was the substitute that broke the deadlock on 65 minutes.

By now joined by fellow substitute Ash Ruane, in place of Chris Gahgan, Kilheeney brought down David Thompson's long ball, held off his marker and slid the ball in to the far corner.

Robinson had a half chance from a Carlos Meakin free-kick, before another substitute levelled things up at 1-1.

Town twice failed to clear the ball, and it spiralled up in to the air off the header of Thompson, falling to Brian Matthews, who volleyed first time in to the far corner.

It was virtually his first touch, four minutes after coming on, and Mossley were level with 12 minutes to play.

The visitors responded positively, and almost retook the lead through Metcalfe, whose free-kick was tipped over the bar by Saunders.

They did regain the lead on 83 minutes, when Robinson powered home a header off a Metcalfe corner, although fox in the box Kilheeney claimed to have got the final touch.

But just as it looked like Shaun Reid's men would close the game out and claim a vital three points, a half clearance fell to Bennett who struck first time in to Josh Ollerenshaw's top right hand corner for one of the goals of the season.

It leaves Warrington anxiously looking over their shoulders at Bamber Bridge and Lancaster City, as attention now turns to securing a play-off place, by finishing in the top five.

Mossley: Saunders, Blair, Brown (Gough), Dean, Anderson, McGonigle, Warburton (Matthews), J Bennett, Welbeck, R Bennett, Pratt. Unused subs: McGrath, McDonnell, Wilkinson.

Warrington: Ollerenshaw, Davies, Thompson, Roberts, McCarten, Robinson, Gahgan (Ruane), Meakin, Wharton (Bowen), Glass (Kilheeney), Metcalfe. Unused subs: Dawson, Corrigan.