Warrington Town O Farsley 0

WARRINGTON Town played out a goalless draw for the second consecutive match, this time against play-off rivals Farsley.

In a game neither side could really afford to lose, it was Farsley who perhaps created the better chances, coming the closest early in the second half when a header came back off the bar.

The draw leaves Town six points behind league leaders Curzon Ashton, who still have two games in hand.

It took until the half hour mark in an uneventful first half for the game's first chance, Paddy Miller's left-footed free kick from 25 yards forcing a save from Town goalkeeper Josh Ollerenshaw.

Ollerenshaw was also on hand five minutes later to tip another another free-kick, this time swung in from the left by Robbie O'Brien, over the bar.

At the other end, Ben Wharton was cutting a frustrated figure up front for Town, and although he got in behind the defence off David Mannix's measured through ball, he snatched at the chance and the ball fell harmlessly wide.

The game barely improved in the second half, stopped all too frequently by the referee's whistle.

Ash Ruane replaced Ciaran Kilheeney at the break, and Town certainly played on the front foot for most of it.

They were almost caught out on 52 minutes though, when Phil Davies lost possession in midfield and Farsley countered, Lee Ellington hitting the bar with a header at the back post from Aaron Hardy's deep cross.

A nice move involving Davies, Ruane and Richard Wright down the right hand side set up another half chance for Wharton, who sliced the ball harmslessly over the bar.

O'Brien did similar at the other end when he was found in space around the edge of the box, and then a third Farsley free kick, this time struck by Matt Dempsey, whistled past the far post.

Ruane, Mannix, James McCarten and Carlos Meakin, together with two Farsley players, found their way in to the referee's notebook in what was never a dirty game, and the stop-start nature of the contest meant neither side could find a rhythm.

On 70 minutes, Ollerenshaw made an awkward save from Miller's free kick, and then came Town's best chance.

Ruane cleared from a corner to find Scott Metcalfe inside the centre circle. He beat a couple of men on a solo run towards the goal, and it took a smart smothering stop by Tom Morgan in the Farsley goal to deny the left midfielder.

As time went on, a winning goal seemed less and less likely, and in the end both sides had to settle for a point, which hardly does either any good in the jostling for the play-off positions.

Warrington: Ollerenshaw, Davies, Thompson, Meakin, McCarten, Robinson, Kilheeney (Ruane), Mannix, Wharton, Wright (Bowen), Metcalfe. Unused subs: Dawson, Corrigan, Gahgan.

Farsley: Morgan, Hardy, Serrant, Daly, Dempsey, Miller, O'Brien, Young, Ellington (Savory), James, Hull. Unused subs: Grant, Owen, Priestley, Taylor.