Two men jailed for cannabis debt blackmail

Warrington Crown Court

Warrington Crown Court

First published in News

TWO best friends have been jailed after threatening a man on Facebook over a cannabis debt.


Ashley Franks, aged 27, and Ryan Ormandy, aged 27, both of Stage Lane, Lymm, threatened victim and neighbour Thomas Heatley.


Warrington Crown Court heard on Thursday how Ormandy had supplied Mr Heatley, aged 23, with cannabis worth between £160 and £180 last year.


Owen Jones, prosecuting, said when Heatley did not pay the money, Ormandy sent abusive text messages.


In one he said ‘I’m going to war. You better be in or whoever answers the door is going in my boot.
On January 21, the court heard a message was sent from the Facebook account of Franks.


It contained more abuse and the threat: “If you don’t ring me up, I’m coming to your mums. If you don’t believe me, see what happens. I don’t care who’s in your house.”


When Mr Heatley returned home that day, the two defendants were waiting outside his house in a Vauxhall Vectra. Franks was driving, despite being banned.


Mr Jones said: “Ormandy made more threats regarding needing the money, or he would face violence.”


At 6pm, Ormandy and Franks returned and police were called.


They found a cannabis factory in the barn conversion home of Franks.


It contained 41 plants, which Mr Jones said would yielded between 1.14kg and 3.44kg of cannabis, worth up to £40,000 on the street.


During a police interview Franks made no comment, with Ormandy reading a prepared statement.


Ormandy, who has seven previous convictions for 11 offences, later pleaded guilty to blackmail.


Franks, who has 20 previous convictions for 25 offences, pleaded guilty to blackmail, driving while disqualified and producing a class B drug with intent to supply.


The court heard Mr Heatley was familiar with the drugs world, and that Ormandy had become ‘frustrated by his failure to pay’.


Franks was said to have ‘got into a fight that wasn’t his own’.


Recorder S J KIlleen jailed Franks for a total of 22 months in prison, and banned him from driving for three years.


Ormandy was jailed for six months for blackmail, and three-and-a-half-years, for a separate GBH charge, to run consecutively. 
 

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

1:21pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Daz@SankeyviaOrford says...

Chavington planksters .
Chavington planksters . Daz@SankeyviaOrford
  • Score: 6

2:57pm Fri 1 Aug 14

fedster says...

In one he said ‘I’m going to war. You better be in or whoever answers the door is going in my boot.


Does he think he is the Don of lymm ?
In one he said ‘I’m going to war. You better be in or whoever answers the door is going in my boot. Does he think he is the Don of lymm ? fedster
  • Score: 9

3:20pm Fri 1 Aug 14

ExRatRacer says...

Good to see that these druggie thugs are making there threats with reasonably good punctuation and grammar. Guardian reporters could learn a thing or two from them, although making sure the evidence is available to the police on Facebook and texts is perhaps more an indicator of their intelligence.
Good to see that these druggie thugs are making there threats with reasonably good punctuation and grammar. Guardian reporters could learn a thing or two from them, although making sure the evidence is available to the police on Facebook and texts is perhaps more an indicator of their intelligence. ExRatRacer
  • Score: 9

4:36pm Fri 1 Aug 14

gazhopley says...

ExRatRacer wrote:
Good to see that these druggie thugs are making there threats with reasonably good punctuation and grammar. Guardian reporters could learn a thing or two from them, although making sure the evidence is available to the police on Facebook and texts is perhaps more an indicator of their intelligence.
Sorry ExRatRacer I can't resist this... Shouldn't it be "making their threats" not "there".
I agree with your last bit, it's like those idiots who ransack empty houses and film themselves while they do it... instant evidence.
why people think that a "social networking site" is in anyway private is beyond me, the clue is in the description.
[quote][p][bold]ExRatRacer[/bold] wrote: Good to see that these druggie thugs are making there threats with reasonably good punctuation and grammar. Guardian reporters could learn a thing or two from them, although making sure the evidence is available to the police on Facebook and texts is perhaps more an indicator of their intelligence.[/p][/quote]Sorry ExRatRacer I can't resist this... Shouldn't it be "making their threats" not "there". I agree with your last bit, it's like those idiots who ransack empty houses and film themselves while they do it... instant evidence. why people think that a "social networking site" is in anyway private is beyond me, the clue is in the description. gazhopley
  • Score: 8

5:52pm Fri 1 Aug 14

miss ann thrope says...

"Whoever answers the door is going in my boot"...he must have big feet.!
"Whoever answers the door is going in my boot"...he must have big feet.! miss ann thrope
  • Score: 6

6:05pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Freeborn John says...

Where he's going, Mr Tough Guy will be able to discuss kicking back doors in with Mr Big in the shower...
Where he's going, Mr Tough Guy will be able to discuss kicking back doors in with Mr Big in the shower... Freeborn John
  • Score: 8

9:45pm Fri 1 Aug 14

ExRatRacer says...

gazhopley wrote:
ExRatRacer wrote:
Good to see that these druggie thugs are making there threats with reasonably good punctuation and grammar. Guardian reporters could learn a thing or two from them, although making sure the evidence is available to the police on Facebook and texts is perhaps more an indicator of their intelligence.
Sorry ExRatRacer I can't resist this... Shouldn't it be "making their threats" not "there".
I agree with your last bit, it's like those idiots who ransack empty houses and film themselves while they do it... instant evidence.
why people think that a "social networking site" is in anyway private is beyond me, the clue is in the description.
Nice one Gaz! It's always the same; whenever I slag off anyone else's spelling, punctuation or grammar, I make an error in my own. The number of times I castigated my students for mixing up the homophones "there, their and they're"! I'll write it out a hundred times.
Cheers.
[quote][p][bold]gazhopley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ExRatRacer[/bold] wrote: Good to see that these druggie thugs are making there threats with reasonably good punctuation and grammar. Guardian reporters could learn a thing or two from them, although making sure the evidence is available to the police on Facebook and texts is perhaps more an indicator of their intelligence.[/p][/quote]Sorry ExRatRacer I can't resist this... Shouldn't it be "making their threats" not "there". I agree with your last bit, it's like those idiots who ransack empty houses and film themselves while they do it... instant evidence. why people think that a "social networking site" is in anyway private is beyond me, the clue is in the description.[/p][/quote]Nice one Gaz! It's always the same; whenever I slag off anyone else's spelling, punctuation or grammar, I make an error in my own. The number of times I castigated my students for mixing up the homophones "there, their and they're"! I'll write it out a hundred times. Cheers. ExRatRacer
  • Score: 3

8:26pm Sat 2 Aug 14

SickAndTired2 says...

Yet another reason why cannabis sale and production needs to be regulated and taken out of the hands of criminals.
Yet another reason why cannabis sale and production needs to be regulated and taken out of the hands of criminals. SickAndTired2
  • Score: 2

9:20pm Mon 4 Aug 14

Freeborn John says...

Gosh Pagey, leave the hippy alone, you...you...bigot you!
Gosh Pagey, leave the hippy alone, you...you...bigot you! Freeborn John
  • Score: 8

9:35pm Mon 4 Aug 14

local man says...

although I dislike cannabis I would prefer to see someone grow their own and smoke it without bothering anyone else rather than a bunch of thieving gypsies terrorising the town.
although I dislike cannabis I would prefer to see someone grow their own and smoke it without bothering anyone else rather than a bunch of thieving gypsies terrorising the town. local man
  • Score: 8

10:32pm Mon 4 Aug 14

ExRatRacer says...

PageA wrote:
Ha! Struck a nerve did I? You're a canabis user so will often have it in your possession. I going to guess that you cultivate your own? And in the past have supplied to friends and family or possibly friends of friends and family. Call me a troll if you wish but I don't think the distance between you and the men in this story is as far as you think. Hippy
Blimey PageA! You really are reading between the lines and making massive assumptions there.
I think cannabis users are stupid and the use can often lead to further drug use and worse.But then so can alcohol although I do enjoy that in moderation. I also think smokers of tobacco are stupid too, but I wouldn't try to tell their life story from a single comment.
[quote][p][bold]PageA[/bold] wrote: Ha! Struck a nerve did I? You're a canabis user so will often have it in your possession. I going to guess that you cultivate your own? And in the past have supplied to friends and family or possibly friends of friends and family. Call me a troll if you wish but I don't think the distance between you and the men in this story is as far as you think. Hippy[/p][/quote]Blimey PageA! You really are reading between the lines and making massive assumptions there. I think cannabis users are stupid and the use can often lead to further drug use and worse.But then so can alcohol although I do enjoy that in moderation. I also think smokers of tobacco are stupid too, but I wouldn't try to tell their life story from a single comment. ExRatRacer
  • Score: 12

11:13am Tue 5 Aug 14

Loafer123 says...

Everytime I come online to read any comments, PageA has an opinion on everything. I'm sure he has nothing better to do than troll the Guardian. I'm under the assumption that he's either working for the paper to get a debate going or just bored with no life outside. Get a life...
Everytime I come online to read any comments, PageA has an opinion on everything. I'm sure he has nothing better to do than troll the Guardian. I'm under the assumption that he's either working for the paper to get a debate going or just bored with no life outside. Get a life... Loafer123
  • Score: 12

2:03pm Tue 5 Aug 14

SickAndTired2 says...

PageA has demonstrated that she lives in a fantasyland where she believes that she gain insight into people's personal lives and characters based upon comments made in a local newspaper.

What you have 'assumed' about me amounts to nothing more than spurious supposition from an over active and ill informed mind.

What you have 'assumed' and written has no basis of fact or truth and in fact is a defamation of character and libelous.

I have reported you to the Warrington Guardian for these comments and I suggest you retract them immediately and have them removed from this page.

Even other readers can see you for what you are.
PageA has demonstrated that she lives in a fantasyland where she believes that she gain insight into people's personal lives and characters based upon comments made in a local newspaper. What you have 'assumed' about me amounts to nothing more than spurious supposition from an over active and ill informed mind. What you have 'assumed' and written has no basis of fact or truth and in fact is a defamation of character and libelous. I have reported you to the Warrington Guardian for these comments and I suggest you retract them immediately and have them removed from this page. Even other readers can see you for what you are. SickAndTired2
  • Score: 5

2:06pm Tue 5 Aug 14

SickAndTired2 says...

As for the 'hippy' comment PageA and the comparison of me to these thugs. That simply demonstrates your downright self absorbed ignorance and self righteous yet totally ill informed nature.
As for the 'hippy' comment PageA and the comparison of me to these thugs. That simply demonstrates your downright self absorbed ignorance and self righteous yet totally ill informed nature. SickAndTired2
  • Score: 3

3:18pm Tue 5 Aug 14

WInwick Pig says...

How ironic that an article about blackmail and abusive messages, insults and threats on social media is hijacked by the Warrington Guardian's own Troll in residence.

Its getting a bit tiresome finding each and every news article, whether about cute little animals, travellers, or mass murder covered in the primordial ooze of just one.

Each and every post this person makes from this day forward I will report as offensive.
How ironic that an article about blackmail and abusive messages, insults and threats on social media is hijacked by the Warrington Guardian's own Troll in residence. Its getting a bit tiresome finding each and every news article, whether about cute little animals, travellers, or mass murder covered in the primordial ooze of just one. Each and every post this person makes from this day forward I will report as offensive. WInwick Pig
  • Score: 7

6:05pm Tue 5 Aug 14

PageA says...

I wish to apologise to sickandtired2 for the damaging comments I made against his online persona. I confused him with a person who organised a pro canabis protest on the lawn of the town hall approx. 12 months ago. I confused him with the person who contacted a national pro canabis group to organise a campaign against warrington borough council following the publication of a pamphlet. Sickandtired2 please accept my apology because I realise now it wasn't you that did these things. I hope that no one has changed their opinion of sickandtired2 following the comments that I made, which, I realise now, are untrue.
I wish to apologise to sickandtired2 for the damaging comments I made against his online persona. I confused him with a person who organised a pro canabis protest on the lawn of the town hall approx. 12 months ago. I confused him with the person who contacted a national pro canabis group to organise a campaign against warrington borough council following the publication of a pamphlet. Sickandtired2 please accept my apology because I realise now it wasn't you that did these things. I hope that no one has changed their opinion of sickandtired2 following the comments that I made, which, I realise now, are untrue. PageA
  • Score: -2

6:13pm Tue 5 Aug 14

PageA says...

Also as a non cannabis user you are not breaking the law and committing a criminal act. I was wrong to suggest that when you said that the drugs should be taken out of the hands of 'criminals' that you yourself could be considered a 'criminal' I at no time used the word or compared you to a 'thug'. You are not a thug and, as you are not breaking any drug laws, you are not a 'criminal'. I again extend my apologies and retract my previous comments
Also as a non cannabis user you are not breaking the law and committing a criminal act. I was wrong to suggest that when you said that the drugs should be taken out of the hands of 'criminals' that you yourself could be considered a 'criminal' I at no time used the word or compared you to a 'thug'. You are not a thug and, as you are not breaking any drug laws, you are not a 'criminal'. I again extend my apologies and retract my previous comments PageA
  • Score: -3

6:19pm Tue 5 Aug 14

PageA says...

But I note the comment 'bunch of thieving gypsies' still remains on this thread. I ask the warrington guardian to consider which other ethnic groups it would allow to be labelled in this way and ask Winwick pig why he chooses not to report that post as being innapropriate?
But I note the comment 'bunch of thieving gypsies' still remains on this thread. I ask the warrington guardian to consider which other ethnic groups it would allow to be labelled in this way and ask Winwick pig why he chooses not to report that post as being innapropriate? PageA
  • Score: -7

7:41pm Tue 5 Aug 14

SickAndTired2 says...

PageA wrote:
I wish to apologise to sickandtired2 for the damaging comments I made against his online persona. I confused him with a person who organised a pro canabis protest on the lawn of the town hall approx. 12 months ago. I confused him with the person who contacted a national pro canabis group to organise a campaign against warrington borough council following the publication of a pamphlet. Sickandtired2 please accept my apology because I realise now it wasn't you that did these things. I hope that no one has changed their opinion of sickandtired2 following the comments that I made, which, I realise now, are untrue.
Yet more spurious and exaggerated insinuations from the local troll, who is rapidly exposing herself for what she is.

In regards that poster, it was a factually incorrect and frankly idiotic piece of propaganda with no basis for scientific fact.

I did contact NORML UK to highlight this poster to them however as for organising the protest where is your evidence for this? For your information that poster went viral nationally within hours of me telling NORML. What happened after that had nothing to do with me.

Whether or not I use cannabis is neither any of your business or has anything to do with the fact that the war on drugs is a massive and costly failure and only a fool believes otherwise.

You make spurious claims about being concerned for the effects it has on young minds yet have you considered the fact that while criminals control the market, the only identification a young person needs to buy it is a £20 note.

It has already been seen in Colarado that legalisation has seen a reduction in crime and has raked in millions in tax which is now being used to build schools.

I wonder PageA what you're stance is on alcohol? A far more dangerous yet legal and socially acceptable drug responsible for destroying millions of lives each year.

PageA you're a sad pathetic individual with zero credibility, seeking pleasure in trolling whatever topic or posters you feel deserve your bile with spurious claims, confused arguments and general trolling.

You stand for nothing. You are nothing and if I were you I would think very carefully about what you post in future as if you continue to post libel and libelous insinuations about me I will take action against you.
[quote][p][bold]PageA[/bold] wrote: I wish to apologise to sickandtired2 for the damaging comments I made against his online persona. I confused him with a person who organised a pro canabis protest on the lawn of the town hall approx. 12 months ago. I confused him with the person who contacted a national pro canabis group to organise a campaign against warrington borough council following the publication of a pamphlet. Sickandtired2 please accept my apology because I realise now it wasn't you that did these things. I hope that no one has changed their opinion of sickandtired2 following the comments that I made, which, I realise now, are untrue.[/p][/quote]Yet more spurious and exaggerated insinuations from the local troll, who is rapidly exposing herself for what she is. In regards that poster, it was a factually incorrect and frankly idiotic piece of propaganda with no basis for scientific fact. I did contact NORML UK to highlight this poster to them however as for organising the protest where is your evidence for this? For your information that poster went viral nationally within hours of me telling NORML. What happened after that had nothing to do with me. Whether or not I use cannabis is neither any of your business or has anything to do with the fact that the war on drugs is a massive and costly failure and only a fool believes otherwise. You make spurious claims about being concerned for the effects it has on young minds yet have you considered the fact that while criminals control the market, the only identification a young person needs to buy it is a £20 note. It has already been seen in Colarado that legalisation has seen a reduction in crime and has raked in millions in tax which is now being used to build schools. I wonder PageA what you're stance is on alcohol? A far more dangerous yet legal and socially acceptable drug responsible for destroying millions of lives each year. PageA you're a sad pathetic individual with zero credibility, seeking pleasure in trolling whatever topic or posters you feel deserve your bile with spurious claims, confused arguments and general trolling. You stand for nothing. You are nothing and if I were you I would think very carefully about what you post in future as if you continue to post libel and libelous insinuations about me I will take action against you. SickAndTired2
  • Score: 4

8:32pm Tue 5 Aug 14

SickAndTired2 says...

As for removing your original comments, I have screenshots of everything. The fact that you deleted them shows that you even lack the courage of your convictions to stand by what you say.

It will be interesting to know what the Guardian have to say in regards to my defamation complaint against you. Maybe I'll see you in court.
As for removing your original comments, I have screenshots of everything. The fact that you deleted them shows that you even lack the courage of your convictions to stand by what you say. It will be interesting to know what the Guardian have to say in regards to my defamation complaint against you. Maybe I'll see you in court. SickAndTired2
  • Score: 0

8:53pm Tue 5 Aug 14

PageA says...

My concerns about the effect that cannabis has on young people is not spurious and was the main thrust of my argument against the representatives of normal uk who dominated this forum at the time. People that you directed to the discussion if I remember rightly...which it seems I do. Maybe you will see me in court for defamation against your online persona or maybe you'll roll a fat one and relax
My concerns about the effect that cannabis has on young people is not spurious and was the main thrust of my argument against the representatives of normal uk who dominated this forum at the time. People that you directed to the discussion if I remember rightly...which it seems I do. Maybe you will see me in court for defamation against your online persona or maybe you'll roll a fat one and relax PageA
  • Score: -6

8:55pm Tue 5 Aug 14

PageA says...

Oh, and I didn't remove any comments. You all reported them remember? Or is it all a it of a blur?
Oh, and I didn't remove any comments. You all reported them remember? Or is it all a it of a blur? PageA
  • Score: -5

10:27pm Tue 5 Aug 14

SickAndTired2 says...

PageA wrote:
My concerns about the effect that cannabis has on young people is not spurious and was the main thrust of my argument against the representatives of normal uk who dominated this forum at the time. People that you directed to the discussion if I remember rightly...which it seems I do. Maybe you will see me in court for defamation against your online persona or maybe you'll roll a fat one and relax
Come on then what are these concerns regarding young people using cannabis? I think that it is only rational and right that no developing mind should be exposed to recreational drugs of any kind, legal or not. So what's your solution then?

I take it that with you being on such a moral crusade against drugs that you neither smoke tobacco or drink alcohol?

Or would you prefer to simply stick to mud slinging, spurious accusations and factually inaccurate propaganda?
[quote][p][bold]PageA[/bold] wrote: My concerns about the effect that cannabis has on young people is not spurious and was the main thrust of my argument against the representatives of normal uk who dominated this forum at the time. People that you directed to the discussion if I remember rightly...which it seems I do. Maybe you will see me in court for defamation against your online persona or maybe you'll roll a fat one and relax[/p][/quote]Come on then what are these concerns regarding young people using cannabis? I think that it is only rational and right that no developing mind should be exposed to recreational drugs of any kind, legal or not. So what's your solution then? I take it that with you being on such a moral crusade against drugs that you neither smoke tobacco or drink alcohol? Or would you prefer to simply stick to mud slinging, spurious accusations and factually inaccurate propaganda? SickAndTired2
  • Score: 1

10:32pm Tue 5 Aug 14

SickAndTired2 says...

I'd also be interested to know your thoughts on how legalisation in Colorado has seen a drop in usage amongst teenagers.

Do you even understand the reasons why it became illegal in the first place? It certainly wasn't about protecting kids!
I'd also be interested to know your thoughts on how legalisation in Colorado has seen a drop in usage amongst teenagers. Do you even understand the reasons why it became illegal in the first place? It certainly wasn't about protecting kids! SickAndTired2
  • Score: 2

11:45pm Tue 5 Aug 14

PageA says...

I was all up for a debate with you, until you started getting all legal on my a**! http://www.warringto
nguardian.co.uk/news
/10553268.Council_Fa
cebook_page_shut_dow
n_after_cannabis_cla
ims/

At 9.07pm on wed 17 July 2013 you admitted to being a cannabis consumer. I have referred to that and you've gotten all uppity about it. If you are a canabis user as stated above do you (a) grow your own supply which is illegal or (b) purchase cannabis from dealers such as those mentioned in this article which is illegal and immoral? Or (c) it's all abig mistake and you didn't mean what you said last year?
I was all up for a debate with you, until you started getting all legal on my a**! http://www.warringto nguardian.co.uk/news /10553268.Council_Fa cebook_page_shut_dow n_after_cannabis_cla ims/ At 9.07pm on wed 17 July 2013 you admitted to being a cannabis consumer. I have referred to that and you've gotten all uppity about it. If you are a canabis user as stated above do you (a) grow your own supply which is illegal or (b) purchase cannabis from dealers such as those mentioned in this article which is illegal and immoral? Or (c) it's all abig mistake and you didn't mean what you said last year? PageA
  • Score: -4

7:06am Wed 6 Aug 14

SickAndTired2 says...

PageA wrote:
I was all up for a debate with you, until you started getting all legal on my a**! http://www.warringto

nguardian.co.uk/news

/10553268.Council_Fa

cebook_page_shut_dow

n_after_cannabis_cla

ims/

At 9.07pm on wed 17 July 2013 you admitted to being a cannabis consumer. I have referred to that and you've gotten all uppity about it. If you are a canabis user as stated above do you (a) grow your own supply which is illegal or (b) purchase cannabis from dealers such as those mentioned in this article which is illegal and immoral? Or (c) it's all abig mistake and you didn't mean what you said last year?
You can't debate can you. All you can do is troll. It is beyond your intellectual capacity to present any kind of reasoned argument and the fact that you've spent so much digging up things I've previously said in a pathetic attempt to somehow incriminate me shows you up for the massive waste of human DNA that you well and truly are.

What you have posted is utterly irrelevant to any of the points I have made and you've conveniently skirted around them in your one idiot quest to somehow incriminate me. Taking some moral high ground while ignoring my questions around your supposed concerns for young people, which you've still yet to elaborate on.

Once again you have proved that you stand for nothing, are nothing and will fall for anything. If this is how you derive your personal pleasure, existing to troll and judge people by your own bizarre and frankly confused standards then you have my sympathy. Does it make you feel all good inside to have unearthed the evidence that I enjoy cannabis. Go you, you win the internet. May your sad and empty life be filled with joy at this victory. The facts still remains that you are a pointless human being and a complete waste of space with the intellect of an amoeba.
[quote][p][bold]PageA[/bold] wrote: I was all up for a debate with you, until you started getting all legal on my a**! http://www.warringto nguardian.co.uk/news /10553268.Council_Fa cebook_page_shut_dow n_after_cannabis_cla ims/ At 9.07pm on wed 17 July 2013 you admitted to being a cannabis consumer. I have referred to that and you've gotten all uppity about it. If you are a canabis user as stated above do you (a) grow your own supply which is illegal or (b) purchase cannabis from dealers such as those mentioned in this article which is illegal and immoral? Or (c) it's all abig mistake and you didn't mean what you said last year?[/p][/quote]You can't debate can you. All you can do is troll. It is beyond your intellectual capacity to present any kind of reasoned argument and the fact that you've spent so much digging up things I've previously said in a pathetic attempt to somehow incriminate me shows you up for the massive waste of human DNA that you well and truly are. What you have posted is utterly irrelevant to any of the points I have made and you've conveniently skirted around them in your one idiot quest to somehow incriminate me. Taking some moral high ground while ignoring my questions around your supposed concerns for young people, which you've still yet to elaborate on. Once again you have proved that you stand for nothing, are nothing and will fall for anything. If this is how you derive your personal pleasure, existing to troll and judge people by your own bizarre and frankly confused standards then you have my sympathy. Does it make you feel all good inside to have unearthed the evidence that I enjoy cannabis. Go you, you win the internet. May your sad and empty life be filled with joy at this victory. The facts still remains that you are a pointless human being and a complete waste of space with the intellect of an amoeba. SickAndTired2
  • Score: 4

7:35am Wed 6 Aug 14

PageA says...

It's hard for me to counter what you say because the warrington guardian have removed my comments leaving only a pro-cannabis / anti-traveller narrative on this thread. You referred to the people in the story as criminals which, as they have broken the law, they undoubtably are. I asked you, as ( in your own words) a consumer of cannabis and, (potentially), a financial supporter of an illegal drugs trade, you felt any kind of criminality associated to your actions. You said that I wasn't worthy of a discussion with you and called me a troll. It was a genuine question that I put forward and you answered it with an insult. I admit, that didn't bring a mature response from me and I apologise again for any damage you feel has been caused to the character of your anonymous online persona. My apologies, again, to all for possessing a different viewpoint to the majority on here. I do not consider myself to be a troll, just the holder of a different outlook. I hope that will continue to be allowed.
It's hard for me to counter what you say because the warrington guardian have removed my comments leaving only a pro-cannabis / anti-traveller narrative on this thread. You referred to the people in the story as criminals which, as they have broken the law, they undoubtably are. I asked you, as ( in your own words) a consumer of cannabis and, (potentially), a financial supporter of an illegal drugs trade, you felt any kind of criminality associated to your actions. You said that I wasn't worthy of a discussion with you and called me a troll. It was a genuine question that I put forward and you answered it with an insult. I admit, that didn't bring a mature response from me and I apologise again for any damage you feel has been caused to the character of your anonymous online persona. My apologies, again, to all for possessing a different viewpoint to the majority on here. I do not consider myself to be a troll, just the holder of a different outlook. I hope that will continue to be allowed. PageA
  • Score: -6

6:46pm Wed 6 Aug 14

local man says...

It would be a duller paper without pageA, we gota have someone to argue with or whats the point? i always imagined PageA was a bloke somehow too, an assumption on my part. And for me I apologise for using the adjective "thieving" in front of the word gypsies, many would consider that word unnecessary when describing travelers.
It would be a duller paper without pageA, we gota have someone to argue with or whats the point? i always imagined PageA was a bloke somehow too, an assumption on my part. And for me I apologise for using the adjective "thieving" in front of the word gypsies, many would consider that word unnecessary when describing travelers. local man
  • Score: 2

8:56pm Wed 6 Aug 14

ExRatRacer says...

local man wrote:
It would be a duller paper without pageA, we gota have someone to argue with or whats the point? i always imagined PageA was a bloke somehow too, an assumption on my part. And for me I apologise for using the adjective "thieving" in front of the word gypsies, many would consider that word unnecessary when describing travelers.
I'm confused. Are gypsies an ethnic group? If so, then surely referring to them as gypsies is fine? If not, then why is it wrong or offensive? If they steal, then surely the thieving prefix is fine? If I saw a headline about thieving English b******s, I wouldn't get all uppity about the person writing it, I'd be more concerned that the moronic minority committing the crimes are the ones who would be bringing disrepute onto the English ethnic group. If English is an ethnic group. For the record, I have no particular axe to grind regarding the use of the word "bunch" to describe a group, but I'm sure SOMEONE of the regular commentors bunch - er group - might have some opinion on the matter.
[quote][p][bold]local man[/bold] wrote: It would be a duller paper without pageA, we gota have someone to argue with or whats the point? i always imagined PageA was a bloke somehow too, an assumption on my part. And for me I apologise for using the adjective "thieving" in front of the word gypsies, many would consider that word unnecessary when describing travelers.[/p][/quote]I'm confused. Are gypsies an ethnic group? If so, then surely referring to them as gypsies is fine? If not, then why is it wrong or offensive? If they steal, then surely the thieving prefix is fine? If I saw a headline about thieving English b******s, I wouldn't get all uppity about the person writing it, I'd be more concerned that the moronic minority committing the crimes are the ones who would be bringing disrepute onto the English ethnic group. If English is an ethnic group. For the record, I have no particular axe to grind regarding the use of the word "bunch" to describe a group, but I'm sure SOMEONE of the regular commentors bunch - er group - might have some opinion on the matter. ExRatRacer
  • Score: 5

9:44am Thu 7 Aug 14

PageA says...

If that SOMEONE is me then yes I do. If you are now or were once an educator, I'm surprised that you don't tbh. Can you show me an example of the headline 'thieving English b******' or something similar? How about this...a man who doesn't pay the amount of tax he owes to the country rolls into Warrington. He's not in a transit van, he's chauffeured in a big pink Royce Royce. He isn't run out of town for not contributing millions to help pay for hospitals and schools, he's greeted by hundreds of cheering warringtonians because he's the lead singer in a popular band. If you were a journalist how would you describe him to your readers? Would the colour of his skin feature in your description? How about his ethnicity? Would you take the opportunity to inform us of his religious background in the headline? This week, I read another horrendous story about child abuse in this town. Why has no one taken the time to mention that all the recent a users have been white. Are they Christian? Do we have a problem with White Christian men abusing children in Warrington? Or does it not matter in these cases?
If that SOMEONE is me then yes I do. If you are now or were once an educator, I'm surprised that you don't tbh. Can you show me an example of the headline 'thieving English b******' or something similar? How about this...a man who doesn't pay the amount of tax he owes to the country rolls into Warrington. He's not in a transit van, he's chauffeured in a big pink Royce Royce. He isn't run out of town for not contributing millions to help pay for hospitals and schools, he's greeted by hundreds of cheering warringtonians because he's the lead singer in a popular band. If you were a journalist how would you describe him to your readers? Would the colour of his skin feature in your description? How about his ethnicity? Would you take the opportunity to inform us of his religious background in the headline? This week, I read another horrendous story about child abuse in this town. Why has no one taken the time to mention that all the recent a users have been white. Are they Christian? Do we have a problem with White Christian men abusing children in Warrington? Or does it not matter in these cases? PageA
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree