Water staff launch major operation to free ducklings stuck down drain in Westbrook

Warrington Guardian: The United Utilities team get set to go down the drain to rescue the duckling The United Utilities team get set to go down the drain to rescue the duckling

A PAIR of one-day-old ducklings found themselves on a big adventure as a major rescue effort was launched to save them.

The ducklings were being led off by the mum on Tuesday after hatching in a garden on Blackshaw Drive, Westbrook.

But two fell down the gaps in a storm drain and neighbours spotted the drama unfolding on their doorstep.

Chris Spindler said: “The duck comes every year for the past three years to have its ducklings here.

“The mum was leading them to the pond and they just fell down the storm drain .

“I managed to get the first one out after some time by hooking it out with a net as they had walked underneath.

“The other one managed to get into the main drain 15ft down.

“The fire brigade came out and said they weren’t willing to send a man down there.

“When United Utilities came out the man called more people out and they didn’t give up and managed to rescue the bird.

“We took it over to the pond to get it back to its mum we tried to reintroduce it as sometimes they might reject one if it has been gone for a while but it was accepted back in to the group.”

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:52pm Wed 16 Jul 14

John says says...

The same united utilities who murdered sixty Canadian geese last week
The same united utilities who murdered sixty Canadian geese last week John says
  • Score: 6

6:54pm Wed 16 Jul 14

John says says...

The same united utilities that murdered sixty Canadian geese the other week . Bless em .
The same united utilities that murdered sixty Canadian geese the other week . Bless em . John says
  • Score: 8

4:16pm Thu 17 Jul 14

brunosmum says...

John says wrote:
The same united utilities that murdered sixty Canadian geese the other week . Bless em .
That's what I was thinking. I'm glad the ducklings were saved, but very angry about the geese.
[quote][p][bold]John says[/bold] wrote: The same united utilities that murdered sixty Canadian geese the other week . Bless em .[/p][/quote]That's what I was thinking. I'm glad the ducklings were saved, but very angry about the geese. brunosmum
  • Score: 11

11:40pm Thu 17 Jul 14

Cheap Mower says...

brunosmum wrote:
John says wrote:
The same united utilities that murdered sixty Canadian geese the other week . Bless em .
That's what I was thinking. I'm glad the ducklings were saved, but very angry about the geese.
How's your Frank?
[quote][p][bold]brunosmum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]John says[/bold] wrote: The same united utilities that murdered sixty Canadian geese the other week . Bless em .[/p][/quote]That's what I was thinking. I'm glad the ducklings were saved, but very angry about the geese.[/p][/quote]How's your Frank? Cheap Mower
  • Score: 1

4:28pm Fri 18 Jul 14

brunosmum says...

Cheap Mower wrote:
brunosmum wrote:
John says wrote:
The same united utilities that murdered sixty Canadian geese the other week . Bless em .
That's what I was thinking. I'm glad the ducklings were saved, but very angry about the geese.
How's your Frank?
Who's my Frank ??!!
[quote][p][bold]Cheap Mower[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brunosmum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]John says[/bold] wrote: The same united utilities that murdered sixty Canadian geese the other week . Bless em .[/p][/quote]That's what I was thinking. I'm glad the ducklings were saved, but very angry about the geese.[/p][/quote]How's your Frank?[/p][/quote]Who's my Frank ??!! brunosmum
  • Score: 0

6:14pm Fri 18 Jul 14

Cheap Mower says...

brunosmum wrote:
Cheap Mower wrote:
brunosmum wrote:
John says wrote:
The same united utilities that murdered sixty Canadian geese the other week . Bless em .
That's what I was thinking. I'm glad the ducklings were saved, but very angry about the geese.
How's your Frank?
Who's my Frank ??!!
It was a poor attempt at a joke . . . . Frank Bruno
[quote][p][bold]brunosmum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Cheap Mower[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]brunosmum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]John says[/bold] wrote: The same united utilities that murdered sixty Canadian geese the other week . Bless em .[/p][/quote]That's what I was thinking. I'm glad the ducklings were saved, but very angry about the geese.[/p][/quote]How's your Frank?[/p][/quote]Who's my Frank ??!![/p][/quote]It was a poor attempt at a joke . . . . Frank Bruno Cheap Mower
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree