POLICE are hunting for two racists thugs who smashed windows and screamed abuse at people in the mosque in Warrington town centre.
Officers from Cheshire Police were called at 11.30pm on Monday, to reports two men were shouting racist slurs and vandalising the mosque on Arpley Street.
Residents were inside the address at the time of the attack, although there were no injuries, according to police.
Sgt Rob Horton, of Warrington Town Centre NPU, said, "Cheshire Police treat racially motivated crimes very seriously.
"Enquiries are still ongoing and we would like to speak to anybody who may have witnessed or can provide any further information with regards to this incident."
At this stage police say it as an isolated incident, but have increased the number of officers patrolling the area.
- Kind-hearted taxi driver reunites 'shocked' Thelwall resident with wallet
- UKIP leader Nigel Farage 'could' visit Warrington, says candidate
- Join in with Rocco's celebrations on open day
- Wolves join rugby league community in expressing sadness following death of Keighley player Danny Jones
- Winwick Couple issue smoke alarm warning following blaze months before their wedding
Officers want to speak to a man seen outside Cromwell Court on Arpley Street, believed to be white, wearing an unzipped hooded top and riding a bicycle.
Police would also like to speak to two other men in connection with the incident, both are described as white, 16-25 years of age, of slim build, and wearing dark hooded tops.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101 quoting incident 1041 of 7th July 2014.
Alternatively, call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.