A CHESHIRE police chief has said an arrest over the Omagh bombing is ‘of interest’ and forces will continue to share relevant information.

Seamus Daly, aged 43, from the Republic of Ireland faces 29 counts of murder and two charges linked to the 1998 explosion.

His arrest last week more than 15 years after the atrocity, which killed among others a woman who was pregnant with twins, has led to many questioning whether the perpetrators behind the Warrington bombing could also be brought to justice.

Nobody has ever been convicted following the IRA incident on Bridge Street in 1993 which killed 12-year-old Tim Parry and three-year-old Johnathan Ball with the initial investigation coming to an end in 1995.

Guy Hindle, assistant chief constable, said: "Cheshire Police carried out a comprehensive, thorough and professional investigation into the Bridge Street bombings of 1993 - an investigation which saw a dedicated team of detectives follow hundreds of lines of enquiry over a considerable period.

"It required considerable professional skills in relation to the investigation, supporting all those affected by the bombings and the wider community, and managing the considerable amount of media interest.”

Mr Hindle added Cheshire Police has not currently got any active lines of enquiry but any new information would be reviewed.

He said: “The case remains unsolved and if any information is received at any time then we would follow the same process as with any other unsolved case and this information would be reviewed.

"The fact that an individual has now been charged with an offence in Northern Ireland is of interest in so far as we will continue to share information of relevance with our partners as our intention is, and has always been, to bring offenders to justice for such a dreadful offence."

The town fell silent last month to mark the 21st anniversary of the IRA bomb ripping through Bridge Street at 12.27pm on March 20.

Speaking at the time, Tim Parry’s father Colin said Warrington residents could ‘hold their heads high’ following the tragedy.