Diabetic son refused place at first choice Orford school

Paula Gallop with son Bobby

Paula Gallop with son Bobby

First published in News

PARENTS Mike and Paula Gallop have been left ‘devastated’ after their five-year-old diabetic son was refused a place at his first choice primary school.

The concerned parents have decided not to send their son to Callands Primary School, where Bobby was offered a place, due to concerns that it would take too long for them to reach him in an emergency.

Bobby was diagnosed with type one diabetes when he was aged two and often goes into hypo due to low blood glucose levels, which can leave him aggressive and agitated.

His parents are worried about the distance from their home in Longford to the school on Callands Road, which is approximately 1.2 miles.

Mum Paula said: “When he goes into hypo he needs me to be with him. Because of his age, he doesn’t understand the symptoms.

“He can often lash out and it’s only me who can calm him down. If the school aren’t able to restrain him then they will need to call me. I need to be nearby to make sure I can get to him quickly.”

The mother of five hoped her son would be offered place at St Stephen’s Primary School, which is less than a five minute walk from their house.

Parents Mike and Paula have since appealed the decision but their application was turned down so they have decided to keep Bobby at home.

Paula said: “It’s been an emotional time. We have had a lot of support from the diabetic team at the hospital and they wrote a letter, that I included in the admission from, where they recommended that he should go to St Stephen’s.

“We were told he wasn’t given a place because he hadn’t been baptised or had an older sibling there.”

The couple are not frightened of being penalised for their decision to keep Bobby at home.

Paula said: “I will fight this all the way. I need to make sure that my son is at the best school for him.”

A council spokesperson said: “We do appreciate that the admissions and appeals process can be a difficult time for parents and carers.

“If a child is identified as needing additional support, the appropriate support will be provided irrespective of which school a child attends.

“Parents and carers can contact the schools admission team for further advice.”

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:50pm Thu 24 Oct 13

Nick Tessla says...

1.2 miles - wow,does she need a passport to go that far? Is?there a problem with jet lag? Is that even in the same time zone?
1.2 miles - wow,does she need a passport to go that far? Is?there a problem with jet lag? Is that even in the same time zone? Nick Tessla
  • Score: 0

5:33pm Thu 24 Oct 13

Northernsoul1 says...

I believe this lady only put one school down on her school choices form rather than putting second and third choices. There were several other schools that she could have chosen but for some reason or another best known only to herself she put all her eggs in one basket and now cries foul when she does not get her own way. Having failed at appeal she now tries to enlist some more public sympathy having already tried on at least one previous occassion via the letters page in this paper. While I have some sympathy for her son I feel that Mrs Gallop has not helped her own case in this matter. I hope a suitable solution can be found but if the school(s) she now wants her son to attend are full and I believe that some are already oversubscribed perhaps Mrs gallop could come up with a solution that will satisfy all concerned.
I believe this lady only put one school down on her school choices form rather than putting second and third choices. There were several other schools that she could have chosen but for some reason or another best known only to herself she put all her eggs in one basket and now cries foul when she does not get her own way. Having failed at appeal she now tries to enlist some more public sympathy having already tried on at least one previous occassion via the letters page in this paper. While I have some sympathy for her son I feel that Mrs Gallop has not helped her own case in this matter. I hope a suitable solution can be found but if the school(s) she now wants her son to attend are full and I believe that some are already oversubscribed perhaps Mrs gallop could come up with a solution that will satisfy all concerned. Northernsoul1
  • Score: 0

6:20pm Thu 24 Oct 13

Pgallop says...

Nick Tessla wrote:
1.2 miles - wow,does she need a passport to go that far? Is?there a problem with jet lag? Is that even in the same time zone?
I don't drive , my son is 5 yrs old ,extremely busy roads ,over 45 minute walk twice daily for him , without forgetting me being able to get to him in the event of an emergency ... I would need to be with him within minutes if he has a hypo ..
[quote][p][bold]Nick Tessla[/bold] wrote: 1.2 miles - wow,does she need a passport to go that far? Is?there a problem with jet lag? Is that even in the same time zone?[/p][/quote]I don't drive , my son is 5 yrs old ,extremely busy roads ,over 45 minute walk twice daily for him , without forgetting me being able to get to him in the event of an emergency ... I would need to be with him within minutes if he has a hypo .. Pgallop
  • Score: 0

6:24pm Thu 24 Oct 13

Pgallop says...

Northernsoul1 wrote:
I believe this lady only put one school down on her school choices form rather than putting second and third choices. There were several other schools that she could have chosen but for some reason or another best known only to herself she put all her eggs in one basket and now cries foul when she does not get her own way. Having failed at appeal she now tries to enlist some more public sympathy having already tried on at least one previous occassion via the letters page in this paper. While I have some sympathy for her son I feel that Mrs Gallop has not helped her own case in this matter. I hope a suitable solution can be found but if the school(s) she now wants her son to attend are full and I believe that some are already oversubscribed perhaps Mrs gallop could come up with a solution that will satisfy all concerned.
I am not crying foul at not getting my own way .. Not asking for special treatment ...and yes as you so rightly pointed out ,I put all my eggs in one basket ,which is something I haven't denied but I do know I am not the only parent to only put one preference of school . I am just trying to highlight what has happened so others don't do the same ,oh and by the way I know I am also not the only one not to be offered a local school
[quote][p][bold]Northernsoul1[/bold] wrote: I believe this lady only put one school down on her school choices form rather than putting second and third choices. There were several other schools that she could have chosen but for some reason or another best known only to herself she put all her eggs in one basket and now cries foul when she does not get her own way. Having failed at appeal she now tries to enlist some more public sympathy having already tried on at least one previous occassion via the letters page in this paper. While I have some sympathy for her son I feel that Mrs Gallop has not helped her own case in this matter. I hope a suitable solution can be found but if the school(s) she now wants her son to attend are full and I believe that some are already oversubscribed perhaps Mrs gallop could come up with a solution that will satisfy all concerned.[/p][/quote]I am not crying foul at not getting my own way .. Not asking for special treatment ...and yes as you so rightly pointed out ,I put all my eggs in one basket ,which is something I haven't denied but I do know I am not the only parent to only put one preference of school . I am just trying to highlight what has happened so others don't do the same ,oh and by the way I know I am also not the only one not to be offered a local school Pgallop
  • Score: 0

6:39pm Thu 24 Oct 13

working_mum says...

“We were told he wasn’t given a place because he hadn’t been baptised or had an older sibling there.”

since that school is so heavily oversubscribed - loads children didnt get in last year, the only way you would get in there is if you are a baptised catholic who lives on the doorstep, this is obvious from looking at the Primary School Admissions Booklet. I have sympathy for your concerns over getting to your son in time, but unless you are catholic there is not a cat in hells chance of getting in there, you really should fill in all 3 options or else you do just get put where there is a space
“We were told he wasn’t given a place because he hadn’t been baptised or had an older sibling there.” since that school is so heavily oversubscribed - loads children didnt get in last year, the only way you would get in there is if you are a baptised catholic who lives on the doorstep, this is obvious from looking at the Primary School Admissions Booklet. I have sympathy for your concerns over getting to your son in time, but unless you are catholic there is not a cat in hells chance of getting in there, you really should fill in all 3 options or else you do just get put where there is a space working_mum
  • Score: 0

6:55pm Thu 24 Oct 13

Pgallop says...

I know that him being baptised would have helped but unfortunately I was blinkered because of his medical condition and the only reason I applied for there anyway was the close proximity as I do actually live 2 minutes from school gates . Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if I had known there would be such a struggle to get a choice of school I wouldn't have been so stupid as to only put one choice . I have had 2 further appeals for St. Andrews n meadowside but they were also refused. I honestly thought that placing this article would highlight the school situation but it seems I'm wrong .I am not looking for sympathy from anybody and sincerely hope that no other parent has the same bad luck that we have had getting a local school in the future
I know that him being baptised would have helped but unfortunately I was blinkered because of his medical condition and the only reason I applied for there anyway was the close proximity as I do actually live 2 minutes from school gates . Hindsight is a wonderful thing and if I had known there would be such a struggle to get a choice of school I wouldn't have been so stupid as to only put one choice . I have had 2 further appeals for St. Andrews n meadowside but they were also refused. I honestly thought that placing this article would highlight the school situation but it seems I'm wrong .I am not looking for sympathy from anybody and sincerely hope that no other parent has the same bad luck that we have had getting a local school in the future Pgallop
  • Score: 0

7:17pm Thu 24 Oct 13

Northernsoul1 says...

Pgallop wrote:
Northernsoul1 wrote:
I believe this lady only put one school down on her school choices form rather than putting second and third choices. There were several other schools that she could have chosen but for some reason or another best known only to herself she put all her eggs in one basket and now cries foul when she does not get her own way. Having failed at appeal she now tries to enlist some more public sympathy having already tried on at least one previous occassion via the letters page in this paper. While I have some sympathy for her son I feel that Mrs Gallop has not helped her own case in this matter. I hope a suitable solution can be found but if the school(s) she now wants her son to attend are full and I believe that some are already oversubscribed perhaps Mrs gallop could come up with a solution that will satisfy all concerned.
I am not crying foul at not getting my own way .. Not asking for special treatment ...and yes as you so rightly pointed out ,I put all my eggs in one basket ,which is something I haven't denied but I do know I am not the only parent to only put one preference of school . I am just trying to highlight what has happened so others don't do the same ,oh and by the way I know I am also not the only one not to be offered a local school
Mrs Gallop whether you intended it or not, by publicising this matter public opinion will be galvanised on one side or the other. You admit you were foolish to only place one school on your form and I thank you for that frank admission. However the matter of your sons education remains, and I retiterate the question I previously posed as to how you can help this matter to be resolved to the satisfaction of all parties. I presume you must have some idea as to how this impasse can be broken without disadvantaging other children.
[quote][p][bold]Pgallop[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Northernsoul1[/bold] wrote: I believe this lady only put one school down on her school choices form rather than putting second and third choices. There were several other schools that she could have chosen but for some reason or another best known only to herself she put all her eggs in one basket and now cries foul when she does not get her own way. Having failed at appeal she now tries to enlist some more public sympathy having already tried on at least one previous occassion via the letters page in this paper. While I have some sympathy for her son I feel that Mrs Gallop has not helped her own case in this matter. I hope a suitable solution can be found but if the school(s) she now wants her son to attend are full and I believe that some are already oversubscribed perhaps Mrs gallop could come up with a solution that will satisfy all concerned.[/p][/quote]I am not crying foul at not getting my own way .. Not asking for special treatment ...and yes as you so rightly pointed out ,I put all my eggs in one basket ,which is something I haven't denied but I do know I am not the only parent to only put one preference of school . I am just trying to highlight what has happened so others don't do the same ,oh and by the way I know I am also not the only one not to be offered a local school[/p][/quote]Mrs Gallop whether you intended it or not, by publicising this matter public opinion will be galvanised on one side or the other. You admit you were foolish to only place one school on your form and I thank you for that frank admission. However the matter of your sons education remains, and I retiterate the question I previously posed as to how you can help this matter to be resolved to the satisfaction of all parties. I presume you must have some idea as to how this impasse can be broken without disadvantaging other children. Northernsoul1
  • Score: 0

7:44pm Thu 24 Oct 13

Pgallop says...

Northernsoul1 wrote:
Pgallop wrote:
Northernsoul1 wrote:
I believe this lady only put one school down on her school choices form rather than putting second and third choices. There were several other schools that she could have chosen but for some reason or another best known only to herself she put all her eggs in one basket and now cries foul when she does not get her own way. Having failed at appeal she now tries to enlist some more public sympathy having already tried on at least one previous occassion via the letters page in this paper. While I have some sympathy for her son I feel that Mrs Gallop has not helped her own case in this matter. I hope a suitable solution can be found but if the school(s) she now wants her son to attend are full and I believe that some are already oversubscribed perhaps Mrs gallop could come up with a solution that will satisfy all concerned.
I am not crying foul at not getting my own way .. Not asking for special treatment ...and yes as you so rightly pointed out ,I put all my eggs in one basket ,which is something I haven't denied but I do know I am not the only parent to only put one preference of school . I am just trying to highlight what has happened so others don't do the same ,oh and by the way I know I am also not the only one not to be offered a local school
Mrs Gallop whether you intended it or not, by publicising this matter public opinion will be galvanised on one side or the other. You admit you were foolish to only place one school on your form and I thank you for that frank admission. However the matter of your sons education remains, and I retiterate the question I previously posed as to how you can help this matter to be resolved to the satisfaction of all parties. I presume you must have some idea as to how this impasse can be broken without disadvantaging other children.
I do not wish or intend to disadvantage any other children. He is on waiting list for all 3 local schools IF/ when a place becomes available and will only be offered a place in relation to where he has been placed on the list . I sincerely hope I haven't offended anybody with my article as this was not my intention . I knew that there would be people on the opposite side of the fence . Thank you for your comments
[quote][p][bold]Northernsoul1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Pgallop[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Northernsoul1[/bold] wrote: I believe this lady only put one school down on her school choices form rather than putting second and third choices. There were several other schools that she could have chosen but for some reason or another best known only to herself she put all her eggs in one basket and now cries foul when she does not get her own way. Having failed at appeal she now tries to enlist some more public sympathy having already tried on at least one previous occassion via the letters page in this paper. While I have some sympathy for her son I feel that Mrs Gallop has not helped her own case in this matter. I hope a suitable solution can be found but if the school(s) she now wants her son to attend are full and I believe that some are already oversubscribed perhaps Mrs gallop could come up with a solution that will satisfy all concerned.[/p][/quote]I am not crying foul at not getting my own way .. Not asking for special treatment ...and yes as you so rightly pointed out ,I put all my eggs in one basket ,which is something I haven't denied but I do know I am not the only parent to only put one preference of school . I am just trying to highlight what has happened so others don't do the same ,oh and by the way I know I am also not the only one not to be offered a local school[/p][/quote]Mrs Gallop whether you intended it or not, by publicising this matter public opinion will be galvanised on one side or the other. You admit you were foolish to only place one school on your form and I thank you for that frank admission. However the matter of your sons education remains, and I retiterate the question I previously posed as to how you can help this matter to be resolved to the satisfaction of all parties. I presume you must have some idea as to how this impasse can be broken without disadvantaging other children.[/p][/quote]I do not wish or intend to disadvantage any other children. He is on waiting list for all 3 local schools IF/ when a place becomes available and will only be offered a place in relation to where he has been placed on the list . I sincerely hope I haven't offended anybody with my article as this was not my intention . I knew that there would be people on the opposite side of the fence . Thank you for your comments Pgallop
  • Score: 0

8:48am Fri 25 Oct 13

TherealLB says...

The thing I genuinely don't understand is why you would want to deny your son an education in the meantime? Doesn't he have a right to a normal life, attending school, making friends and socialising with children of his own age?
I appreciate you want to be there if has a hypo, but the allocated school is a MILE away, not on the dark side of the moon. I can walk a mile in fifteen minutes and frankly, if my child needed me, I would run.
This looks very much like you assumed his medical needs would be your instant passport into a heavily oversubscribed school you otherwise would have had no hope of getting into and now you're throwing your toys and cutting off your nose to spite your face by keeping him at home.
I would urge you to reconsider. While you're digging your heels in the other children are forming friendships that they're going to have for at least the next seven years and your son is going to be left behind.
I wish your little boy good health.
The thing I genuinely don't understand is why you would want to deny your son an education in the meantime? Doesn't he have a right to a normal life, attending school, making friends and socialising with children of his own age? I appreciate you want to be there if has a hypo, but the allocated school is a MILE away, not on the dark side of the moon. I can walk a mile in fifteen minutes and frankly, if my child needed me, I would run. This looks very much like you assumed his medical needs would be your instant passport into a heavily oversubscribed school you otherwise would have had no hope of getting into and now you're throwing your toys and cutting off your nose to spite your face by keeping him at home. I would urge you to reconsider. While you're digging your heels in the other children are forming friendships that they're going to have for at least the next seven years and your son is going to be left behind. I wish your little boy good health. TherealLB
  • Score: 0

9:07am Fri 25 Oct 13

silverlady54 says...

Paula, you may find some helpful information here:

https://www.gov.uk/h
ome-education
http://www.bbc.co.uk
/schools/parents/hom
e_education/

If you have 4 other children your child is obviously going to be good at mixing with others and I'm sure you take him to other activities as well as him playing out with local children at home so that shouldn't be a worry for you. Do what you feel is best for your son. Hopefully his diabetes will settle down as he grows up and begins to recognise his warning signs.
Paula, you may find some helpful information here: https://www.gov.uk/h ome-education http://www.bbc.co.uk /schools/parents/hom e_education/ If you have 4 other children your child is obviously going to be good at mixing with others and I'm sure you take him to other activities as well as him playing out with local children at home so that shouldn't be a worry for you. Do what you feel is best for your son. Hopefully his diabetes will settle down as he grows up and begins to recognise his warning signs. silverlady54
  • Score: 0

9:39am Fri 25 Oct 13

Sarah248 says...

Im sure I heard that this school has around 100 first choice applications for just 30 places so you can only imagine the waiting list! Is it fair to you to deny your son an education in the mean time and the social skills that he develops alongside many other children of his age? Yes you can send him to as many clubs as you like however he needs the stability and experience of a school setting! You say that he only calms down with you... All staff are trained to deal with health/ behaviour issues whatever it is! I doubt the school would even let you go in anyway when he reacted!
Im sure I heard that this school has around 100 first choice applications for just 30 places so you can only imagine the waiting list! Is it fair to you to deny your son an education in the mean time and the social skills that he develops alongside many other children of his age? Yes you can send him to as many clubs as you like however he needs the stability and experience of a school setting! You say that he only calms down with you... All staff are trained to deal with health/ behaviour issues whatever it is! I doubt the school would even let you go in anyway when he reacted! Sarah248
  • Score: 0

10:37am Fri 25 Oct 13

Pgallop says...

Once again thank you all for your comments. Unfortunately my point hasn't come across very well . I didn't expect his medical needs to be a passport into school and I would gladly run 10 miles to get to my child but that 1.2 mile walk would seem like a 5 mile walk to my 5 yr old son , not forgetting the winter months ahead . There are a lot of other factors regarding his diabetes that also have to be considered . I haven't taken this decision lightly
Once again thank you all for your comments. Unfortunately my point hasn't come across very well . I didn't expect his medical needs to be a passport into school and I would gladly run 10 miles to get to my child but that 1.2 mile walk would seem like a 5 mile walk to my 5 yr old son , not forgetting the winter months ahead . There are a lot of other factors regarding his diabetes that also have to be considered . I haven't taken this decision lightly Pgallop
  • Score: 0

12:14pm Fri 25 Oct 13

GRUMPY PARENT says...

I sympathise with your predicament and was not aware that it was so difficult to get a child a school place in your area. On that basis your article has highlighted potential problems for other parents who may not be aware of this situation in your locality.
I sympathise with your predicament and was not aware that it was so difficult to get a child a school place in your area. On that basis your article has highlighted potential problems for other parents who may not be aware of this situation in your locality. GRUMPY PARENT
  • Score: 0

4:06pm Fri 25 Oct 13

Nick Tessla says...

GRUMPY PARENT wrote:
I sympathise with your predicament and was not aware that it was so difficult to get a child a school place in your area. On that basis your article has highlighted potential problems for other parents who may not be aware of this situation in your locality.
1.2 miles is in her area
[quote][p][bold]GRUMPY PARENT[/bold] wrote: I sympathise with your predicament and was not aware that it was so difficult to get a child a school place in your area. On that basis your article has highlighted potential problems for other parents who may not be aware of this situation in your locality.[/p][/quote]1.2 miles is in her area Nick Tessla
  • Score: 0

8:19pm Fri 25 Oct 13

GRUMPY PARENT says...

Nick Tessla wrote:
GRUMPY PARENT wrote:
I sympathise with your predicament and was not aware that it was so difficult to get a child a school place in your area. On that basis your article has highlighted potential problems for other parents who may not be aware of this situation in your locality.
1.2 miles is in her area
No offence NT but 1.2 miles is quite a journey for a young child especially in the rain or bad weather that is inevitable in this country. All my children have never had to go further than 1/4 mile from primary to secondary school. I can guarantee you don't walk that far four times a day yes there and back twice a day for the mother! You probably have a car though so you wouldn't understand would you!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]Nick Tessla[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]GRUMPY PARENT[/bold] wrote: I sympathise with your predicament and was not aware that it was so difficult to get a child a school place in your area. On that basis your article has highlighted potential problems for other parents who may not be aware of this situation in your locality.[/p][/quote]1.2 miles is in her area[/p][/quote]No offence NT but 1.2 miles is quite a journey for a young child especially in the rain or bad weather that is inevitable in this country. All my children have never had to go further than 1/4 mile from primary to secondary school. I can guarantee you don't walk that far four times a day yes there and back twice a day for the mother! You probably have a car though so you wouldn't understand would you!!!!! GRUMPY PARENT
  • Score: 0

2:13pm Thu 31 Oct 13

D Boyle says...

For those of you who have come out and criticised this mother, you should all take a look at yourself and ask whether you are perfect and make every decision with hindsight and full knowledge of all that is this universe!

Mrs Gallop has openly admitted some gaps in her knowledge, which in HINDSIGHT she would not make again. However, those critical of her are missing the whole point of the article.

Mrs Gallop has highlighted directly and indirectly an issue of social care and education and the lack of resources that goes with it.

The over subscription of schools is an issue as that shows lack of educational resources, just like the cut backs of policing, Medical care and Elderly services. This is yet another realisation that we as a 1st world nation whilst building roads, supermarkets and new housing estates are unable to provide the fundamental social community fabric that meshes it all together in the form of facilities such as schools.

Also, Mrs Gallop is not a driver and therefore LESS of a burden to the environment and tax payer in the form of indirect economical wear and tear as she wishes to healthily walk her son a few metres rather than invoke upon us and herself a cost of motoring and unhealthily drive her son to school. Just because these economical and environmental benefits are hard for some to see, does not mean they are not as equally important.

One government dept. is telling us to get our cars off the road as they are bad for us and the environment, our fuel prices are rising, school mum runs are frowned upon, yet.... another government dept. with their inability to provide enough school places for our future leaders, inventors, CEO's are forcing her to be someone she doesn't want to be.

I also find the swipe at wanting to be as close to your child as possible during his formative years of being unable to deal with his medical condition alone some what cynical and distasteful. Surely minimum distress during character evolvement is the better option.

Mrs Gallop has raised an issue we should be concerned about, not chastise her. I think Mrs Gallop has handled her situation as all mother would and she has dealt with the sniping on this forum with dignity and respect and never once offered in return a swipe or snipe. in fact, her honesty in explaining her situation and mistakes made without hindsight are refreshing and to be encouraged.

The snipers on here just show how much of an uncaring, disconnected, cynical society we are now living in. It is easy to attack the little person rather than the giant corporation!

Mrs Gallop, I hope you, Bobby and the family sort this situation satisfactorily and that Bobby receives an education as expected from a 1st World country without having to drive MILES for it because the Government don't provide enough school seats for the future of our country.
For those of you who have come out and criticised this mother, you should all take a look at yourself and ask whether you are perfect and make every decision with hindsight and full knowledge of all that is this universe! Mrs Gallop has openly admitted some gaps in her knowledge, which in HINDSIGHT she would not make again. However, those critical of her are missing the whole point of the article. Mrs Gallop has highlighted directly and indirectly an issue of social care and education and the lack of resources that goes with it. The over subscription of schools is an issue as that shows lack of educational resources, just like the cut backs of policing, Medical care and Elderly services. This is yet another realisation that we as a 1st world nation whilst building roads, supermarkets and new housing estates are unable to provide the fundamental social community fabric that meshes it all together in the form of facilities such as schools. Also, Mrs Gallop is not a driver and therefore LESS of a burden to the environment and tax payer in the form of indirect economical wear and tear as she wishes to healthily walk her son a few metres rather than invoke upon us and herself a cost of motoring and unhealthily drive her son to school. Just because these economical and environmental benefits are hard for some to see, does not mean they are not as equally important. One government dept. is telling us to get our cars off the road as they are bad for us and the environment, our fuel prices are rising, school mum runs are frowned upon, yet.... another government dept. with their inability to provide enough school places for our future leaders, inventors, CEO's are forcing her to be someone she doesn't want to be. I also find the swipe at wanting to be as close to your child as possible during his formative years of being unable to deal with his medical condition alone some what cynical and distasteful. Surely minimum distress during character evolvement is the better option. Mrs Gallop has raised an issue we should be concerned about, not chastise her. I think Mrs Gallop has handled her situation as all mother would and she has dealt with the sniping on this forum with dignity and respect and never once offered in return a swipe or snipe. in fact, her honesty in explaining her situation and mistakes made without hindsight are refreshing and to be encouraged. The snipers on here just show how much of an uncaring, disconnected, cynical society we are now living in. It is easy to attack the little person rather than the giant corporation! Mrs Gallop, I hope you, Bobby and the family sort this situation satisfactorily and that Bobby receives an education as expected from a 1st World country without having to drive MILES for it because the Government don't provide enough school seats for the future of our country. D Boyle
  • Score: 1

2:33pm Thu 31 Oct 13

D Boyle says...

As a follow up to the cynical snipers, I have a suggestion. Rather than waste energy on sniping others, why don't you arm yourself with the knowledge that the Government is failing all of us by creating a foundation of ignorance and uncertainty through lack of educational facilities and services.

Lack of school places IS A SERIOUS ISSUE, that needs attention.

A fifth of our schools are bursting, half of out schools have issues. Don't believe me, research it for yourself by clicking the links.

http://www.theguardi
an.com/education/201
3/sep/03/free-school
s-open-pupils

http://www.bbc.co.uk
/news/education-2394
0862

http://www.bbc.co.uk
/news/education-2393
1974

http://www.bbc.co.uk
/news/education-1161
8982
As a follow up to the cynical snipers, I have a suggestion. Rather than waste energy on sniping others, why don't you arm yourself with the knowledge that the Government is failing all of us by creating a foundation of ignorance and uncertainty through lack of educational facilities and services. Lack of school places IS A SERIOUS ISSUE, that needs attention. A fifth of our schools are bursting, half of out schools have issues. Don't believe me, research it for yourself by clicking the links. http://www.theguardi an.com/education/201 3/sep/03/free-school s-open-pupils http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/education-2394 0862 http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/education-2393 1974 http://www.bbc.co.uk /news/education-1161 8982 D Boyle
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree