Shoplifter spared jail after Golden Square raid

Shoplifter spared jail after Golden Square raid

Shoplifter spared jail after Golden Square raid

Warrington Crown Court

First published in News

A SHOPLIFTER who stole expensive clothes from shops in the Golden Square will not go to jail.

Warrington Crown Court heard on Thursday how Kayleigh Bradley, aged 25, swiped numerous garments from River Island, Oasis, Warehouse and Dorothy Perkins.

The Liverpool resident’s haul included three leather jackets, tops and dresses worth a total of £580.

She was arrested when returning to steal more clothes the following day.

Bradley, who has a string of previous convictions for theft, cried throughout proceedings.

Judge Nicholas Woodward said he would not send her to prison because of problems in her personal life.

He said: “She is a young woman who lost her parents when she was 10.

“She has struggled with her life as so many children in that situation do.

“She has a baby, she is an intelligent woman.

“Everything indicates she intends to change her life.”

Bradley was sentenced to a two month curfew to be in place from 7pm to 7am.

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:27am Tue 8 Jan 13

SAC_in_Warrington says...

My intuition suggests that she got of far to lightly and store security in Golden Square is very, very lax.
My intuition suggests that she got of far to lightly and store security in Golden Square is very, very lax. SAC_in_Warrington
  • Score: 0

11:17am Tue 8 Jan 13

The Maestro says...

How soft is this country, and what a great message to send to her kid about right from wrong. Send her to prison with all her excuses, she will have plenty of time to use her intelligence to sort her life out and make the changes she wants
How soft is this country, and what a great message to send to her kid about right from wrong. Send her to prison with all her excuses, she will have plenty of time to use her intelligence to sort her life out and make the changes she wants The Maestro
  • Score: 0

11:30am Tue 8 Jan 13

roadrunner says...

Judge Nicholas Woodward......anothe
r do gooder who is not fit to pass sentence.....She has a string of previous convictions for theft....So what exactly does it take for her to be sent to prison.....??
Judge Nicholas Woodward......anothe r do gooder who is not fit to pass sentence.....She has a string of previous convictions for theft....So what exactly does it take for her to be sent to prison.....?? roadrunner
  • Score: 0

11:55am Tue 8 Jan 13

SAC_in_Warrington says...

She must have had a very convincing lawyer pleading her case on this occasion. No mention of any punishment or recompense or remorse other than the curfew. This still means that she can ply her assumed trade in stolen goods, either the ones she steals or the ill got'n gains of her cohorts!
She must have had a very convincing lawyer pleading her case on this occasion. No mention of any punishment or recompense or remorse other than the curfew. This still means that she can ply her assumed trade in stolen goods, either the ones she steals or the ill got'n gains of her cohorts! SAC_in_Warrington
  • Score: 0

12:05pm Tue 8 Jan 13

Nick Tessla says...

"A SHOPLIFTER who stole expensive clothes from shops in the Golden Square will not go to jail."


So is it more of a crime to steal expensive clothes than cheap ones?
"A SHOPLIFTER who stole expensive clothes from shops in the Golden Square will not go to jail." So is it more of a crime to steal expensive clothes than cheap ones? Nick Tessla
  • Score: 0

12:20pm Tue 8 Jan 13

SAC_in_Warrington says...

Judging from the Judges' comment, a woman shoplifting is not enough reason for incarceration.
Judging from the Judges' comment, a woman shoplifting is not enough reason for incarceration. SAC_in_Warrington
  • Score: 0

12:45pm Tue 8 Jan 13

wiredave 1647 says...

What a joke this country is
What a joke this country is wiredave 1647
  • Score: 0

1:26pm Tue 8 Jan 13

J H Wise says...

sorry she lost her parents,, but at 10 she would already know that stealing is wrong, as wiredave says "this country is a joke"
sorry she lost her parents,, but at 10 she would already know that stealing is wrong, as wiredave says "this country is a joke" J H Wise
  • Score: 0

4:20pm Tue 8 Jan 13

HulkHogan says...

Okay. So she lost her parents when she was 10; tragic for anyone. However, she is now 25, so this happened 15 years ago. I am not saying that she should have accepted this or be okay with it, but if something that happened this long ago can be used as an excuse not to be properly punished for this crime and she has struggled with life, has anyone considered the safety of her baby? Also what indicates that she intends to change her life? Crying in court?

Now for the reality. Many people suffer tragedies in there lifetime, with some dealing with these better than others. This is a person who has had a string of convictions for theft. While I would expect someone to react after losing both parents, to continue this for 15 years, in my opinion, is an excuse. Surely after having a child (or children) of her own, she would want to try to set a good example. Or has the blueprint been ‘do what I want, go on the rob, get caught, but you can’t do anything because I am messed up’.

Maybe if this was the first offence (or at least the first few), but regardless of what happened in her past, she knew she was doing wrong and knew the consequences. She should not be given special treatment. Or, if she didn’t know she was doing wrong and her life is so messed up, can she provide a suitable upbringing for her child?

I know some people might say I am out of order, but you cannot have it both ways. If you are capable of bringing up a child, you are capable of following the rules.
Okay. So she lost her parents when she was 10; tragic for anyone. However, she is now 25, so this happened 15 years ago. I am not saying that she should have accepted this or be okay with it, but if something that happened this long ago can be used as an excuse not to be properly punished for this crime and she has struggled with life, has anyone considered the safety of her baby? Also what indicates that she intends to change her life? Crying in court? Now for the reality. Many people suffer tragedies in there lifetime, with some dealing with these better than others. This is a person who has had a string of convictions for theft. While I would expect someone to react after losing both parents, to continue this for 15 years, in my opinion, is an excuse. Surely after having a child (or children) of her own, she would want to try to set a good example. Or has the blueprint been ‘do what I want, go on the rob, get caught, but you can’t do anything because I am messed up’. Maybe if this was the first offence (or at least the first few), but regardless of what happened in her past, she knew she was doing wrong and knew the consequences. She should not be given special treatment. Or, if she didn’t know she was doing wrong and her life is so messed up, can she provide a suitable upbringing for her child? I know some people might say I am out of order, but you cannot have it both ways. If you are capable of bringing up a child, you are capable of following the rules. HulkHogan
  • Score: 0

5:30pm Tue 8 Jan 13

jdow says...

I lost both my parent at a early age but i diden't do crime i grew up got married had children so it is no excuse I know wonder people carry on with stealing when there is no punishment.
I bought a item from tesco and the lad diden't take the tag of i went through the the door and the alarm went of the secrity ran at me i fell like a criminal i wonder what would have happenend if i haden't pd for them
I lost both my parent at a early age but i diden't do crime i grew up got married had children so it is no excuse I know wonder people carry on with stealing when there is no punishment. I bought a item from tesco and the lad diden't take the tag of i went through the the door and the alarm went of the secrity ran at me i fell like a criminal i wonder what would have happenend if i haden't pd for them jdow
  • Score: 0

6:02pm Tue 8 Jan 13

SAC_in_Warrington says...

HulkHogan wrote:
Okay. So she lost her parents when she was 10; tragic for anyone. However, she is now 25, so this happened 15 years ago. I am not saying that she should have accepted this or be okay with it, but if something that happened this long ago can be used as an excuse not to be properly punished for this crime and she has struggled with life, has anyone considered the safety of her baby? Also what indicates that she intends to change her life? Crying in court?

Now for the reality. Many people suffer tragedies in there lifetime, with some dealing with these better than others. This is a person who has had a string of convictions for theft. While I would expect someone to react after losing both parents, to continue this for 15 years, in my opinion, is an excuse. Surely after having a child (or children) of her own, she would want to try to set a good example. Or has the blueprint been ‘do what I want, go on the rob, get caught, but you can’t do anything because I am messed up’.

Maybe if this was the first offence (or at least the first few), but regardless of what happened in her past, she knew she was doing wrong and knew the consequences. She should not be given special treatment. Or, if she didn’t know she was doing wrong and her life is so messed up, can she provide a suitable upbringing for her child?

I know some people might say I am out of order, but you cannot have it both ways. If you are capable of bringing up a child, you are capable of following the rules.
There is in my opinion a lot of logic in your comment. Perhaps she was trapped in to providing someone else with an income stream, a money lender or a drug dealer. I really don't know enough about her personal circumstances to comment fully or add any other suggestions on this issue. It just seems on the surface to be extremely lenient.
[quote][p][bold]HulkHogan[/bold] wrote: Okay. So she lost her parents when she was 10; tragic for anyone. However, she is now 25, so this happened 15 years ago. I am not saying that she should have accepted this or be okay with it, but if something that happened this long ago can be used as an excuse not to be properly punished for this crime and she has struggled with life, has anyone considered the safety of her baby? Also what indicates that she intends to change her life? Crying in court? Now for the reality. Many people suffer tragedies in there lifetime, with some dealing with these better than others. This is a person who has had a string of convictions for theft. While I would expect someone to react after losing both parents, to continue this for 15 years, in my opinion, is an excuse. Surely after having a child (or children) of her own, she would want to try to set a good example. Or has the blueprint been ‘do what I want, go on the rob, get caught, but you can’t do anything because I am messed up’. Maybe if this was the first offence (or at least the first few), but regardless of what happened in her past, she knew she was doing wrong and knew the consequences. She should not be given special treatment. Or, if she didn’t know she was doing wrong and her life is so messed up, can she provide a suitable upbringing for her child? I know some people might say I am out of order, but you cannot have it both ways. If you are capable of bringing up a child, you are capable of following the rules.[/p][/quote]There is in my opinion a lot of logic in your comment. Perhaps she was trapped in to providing someone else with an income stream, a money lender or a drug dealer. I really don't know enough about her personal circumstances to comment fully or add any other suggestions on this issue. It just seems on the surface to be extremely lenient. SAC_in_Warrington
  • Score: 0

7:31am Wed 9 Jan 13

drunkennun says...

Is this Judge giving the Green light for everyone to go out on the Rob . ? Because that's how it comes across
Is this Judge giving the Green light for everyone to go out on the Rob . ? Because that's how it comes across drunkennun
  • Score: 0

12:19pm Wed 9 Jan 13

moleogod says...

intelligent woman don't shoplift
intelligent woman don't shoplift moleogod
  • Score: 0

12:46pm Wed 9 Jan 13

Mr Andrew Mackie says...

Shoplifting is not a imprisonable offence. They is murderers, rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers / addicts, burglars / robbers, drink / drug drivers etc etc. The warehouses (prisons) are overcrowded.
Shoplifting is not a imprisonable offence. They is murderers, rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers / addicts, burglars / robbers, drink / drug drivers etc etc. The warehouses (prisons) are overcrowded. Mr Andrew Mackie
  • Score: 0

9:11pm Wed 9 Jan 13

old-codger says...

SAC_in_Warrington says...
9:27am Tue 8 Jan 13

My intuition suggests that she got of far to lightly and store security in Golden Square is very, very lax.”

WELL SAID.
SAC_in_Warrington says... 9:27am Tue 8 Jan 13 My intuition suggests that she got of far to lightly and store security in Golden Square is very, very lax.” WELL SAID. old-codger
  • Score: 0

9:55am Thu 10 Jan 13

MikeJT says...

She commutes from Liverpool. Her lawyers blame her childhood for problems in her life. She is intelligent and a parent.

Sounds like a "normal" person who has hit on hard times and done something silly...............
.....UNTIL YOU READ THE OTHER FACTS.

She planned to steel, she's done it before. Then the idiotic judge imposes a curfew from 7pm to 7am ........ when the shops are shut anyway !!!!!!!

In an era when restorative (sp?) justice is buzz-phrase how about 160hours community service, cleaning the public areas of the Mall......with a hi-viz jacket on so everybody knows why she's doing it.
She commutes from Liverpool. Her lawyers blame her childhood for problems in her life. She is intelligent and a parent. Sounds like a "normal" person who has hit on hard times and done something silly............... .....UNTIL YOU READ THE OTHER FACTS. She planned to steel, she's done it before. Then the idiotic judge imposes a curfew from 7pm to 7am ........ when the shops are shut anyway !!!!!!! In an era when restorative (sp?) justice is buzz-phrase how about 160hours community service, cleaning the public areas of the Mall......with a hi-viz jacket on so everybody knows why she's doing it. MikeJT
  • Score: 0

2:06pm Thu 10 Jan 13

Blueapp says...

I agree with Mike JT, why on earth is the curfew between 7pm and 7am when the shops are closed? Surely it should be 7am to 7pm? Or is this too easy for idiotic judges to work out? No wonder this country is in such a state.
I agree with Mike JT, why on earth is the curfew between 7pm and 7am when the shops are closed? Surely it should be 7am to 7pm? Or is this too easy for idiotic judges to work out? No wonder this country is in such a state. Blueapp
  • Score: 0

4:20pm Sat 12 Jan 13

Mikeywire says...

I bet she only cried through the proceedings because she was caught and stopped her selling her knock off gear...Shes got away scott free and she should thank her lucky stars she had such a limp wristed liberal do gooder judge on the case...! Disgrace...
I bet she only cried through the proceedings because she was caught and stopped her selling her knock off gear...Shes got away scott free and she should thank her lucky stars she had such a limp wristed liberal do gooder judge on the case...! Disgrace... Mikeywire
  • Score: 0

4:23pm Sat 12 Jan 13

Mikeywire says...

Mr Andrew Mackie wrote:
Shoplifting is not a imprisonable offence. They is murderers, rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers / addicts, burglars / robbers, drink / drug drivers etc etc. The warehouses (prisons) are overcrowded.
Well we build more prisons and start locking them up..! What example is this setting? We already can't get bone idol benefit bums into work, when they see you get off scott free for robbing from shops why would they go to work??
[quote][p][bold]Mr Andrew Mackie[/bold] wrote: Shoplifting is not a imprisonable offence. They is murderers, rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers / addicts, burglars / robbers, drink / drug drivers etc etc. The warehouses (prisons) are overcrowded.[/p][/quote]Well we build more prisons and start locking them up..! What example is this setting? We already can't get bone idol benefit bums into work, when they see you get off scott free for robbing from shops why would they go to work?? Mikeywire
  • Score: 0

11:11am Sun 13 Jan 13

Lesdelooze says...

old-codger wrote:
SAC_in_Warrington says...
9:27am Tue 8 Jan 13

My intuition suggests that she got of far to lightly and store security in Golden Square is very, very lax.”

WELL SAID.
The security in golden square are too busy bullying kids to go look for shoplifters. Or there all looking at there tight shirts showing there muscles in the shop windows x
[quote][p][bold]old-codger[/bold] wrote: SAC_in_Warrington says... 9:27am Tue 8 Jan 13 My intuition suggests that she got of far to lightly and store security in Golden Square is very, very lax.” WELL SAID.[/p][/quote]The security in golden square are too busy bullying kids to go look for shoplifters. Or there all looking at there tight shirts showing there muscles in the shop windows x Lesdelooze
  • Score: 0

7:04pm Sun 13 Jan 13

MrBenggo says...

She got off with it,and the message is keep doing it until caught again.
The do gooders have had their way and it just doesn't work,tough sentences,a hard life inside,so hard that once inside no one will ever want to go back in again,that's what is needed.
We all end up paying for thieving from shops,and that's what it is thieving.
She got off with it,and the message is keep doing it until caught again. The do gooders have had their way and it just doesn't work,tough sentences,a hard life inside,so hard that once inside no one will ever want to go back in again,that's what is needed. We all end up paying for thieving from shops,and that's what it is thieving. MrBenggo
  • Score: 0

10:56am Mon 14 Jan 13

voice of (some) of the people says...

Mr Andrew Mackie wrote:
Shoplifting is not a imprisonable offence. They is murderers, rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers / addicts, burglars / robbers, drink / drug drivers etc etc. The warehouses (prisons) are overcrowded.
You are wrong Andrew I'm afraid. Shoplifting is theft which is covered under Section 1 of the Theft Act of 1968. The crime of theft is imprisonable to a maximum of 7 years.

It's not a victimless crime either before anyone brings that one in. We the public pay up to 10% more for our goods because of shoplifting.

Way too lenient for someone of 25 years of age in my opinion. I would stake all my belongings on her committing the same crime again!
[quote][p][bold]Mr Andrew Mackie[/bold] wrote: Shoplifting is not a imprisonable offence. They is murderers, rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers / addicts, burglars / robbers, drink / drug drivers etc etc. The warehouses (prisons) are overcrowded.[/p][/quote]You are wrong Andrew I'm afraid. Shoplifting is theft which is covered under Section 1 of the Theft Act of 1968. The crime of theft is imprisonable to a maximum of 7 years. It's not a victimless crime either before anyone brings that one in. We the public pay up to 10% more for our goods because of shoplifting. Way too lenient for someone of 25 years of age in my opinion. I would stake all my belongings on her committing the same crime again! voice of (some) of the people
  • Score: 0

11:05am Mon 14 Jan 13

SAC_in_Warrington says...

voice of (some) of the people wrote:
Mr Andrew Mackie wrote:
Shoplifting is not a imprisonable offence. They is murderers, rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers / addicts, burglars / robbers, drink / drug drivers etc etc. The warehouses (prisons) are overcrowded.
You are wrong Andrew I'm afraid. Shoplifting is theft which is covered under Section 1 of the Theft Act of 1968. The crime of theft is imprisonable to a maximum of 7 years.

It's not a victimless crime either before anyone brings that one in. We the public pay up to 10% more for our goods because of shoplifting.

Way too lenient for someone of 25 years of age in my opinion. I would stake all my belongings on her committing the same crime again!
Well said thank you for the corrected information and thank you for taking the time to research your welcomed comment. What viable mitigating circumstances do you think that the solicitor may have presented to the court for such a lenient sentence from the Judge?
[quote][p][bold]voice of (some) of the people[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mr Andrew Mackie[/bold] wrote: Shoplifting is not a imprisonable offence. They is murderers, rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers / addicts, burglars / robbers, drink / drug drivers etc etc. The warehouses (prisons) are overcrowded.[/p][/quote]You are wrong Andrew I'm afraid. Shoplifting is theft which is covered under Section 1 of the Theft Act of 1968. The crime of theft is imprisonable to a maximum of 7 years. It's not a victimless crime either before anyone brings that one in. We the public pay up to 10% more for our goods because of shoplifting. Way too lenient for someone of 25 years of age in my opinion. I would stake all my belongings on her committing the same crime again![/p][/quote]Well said thank you for the corrected information and thank you for taking the time to research your welcomed comment. What viable mitigating circumstances do you think that the solicitor may have presented to the court for such a lenient sentence from the Judge? SAC_in_Warrington
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree