New crime boss says he DOES have public support

Warrington Guardian: John Dwyer John Dwyer

JOHN Dwyer Warrington’s new police and crime commissioner says he has public support despite a historically low turnout.

The Conservative won the first public vote for the role on Friday and will formally take control of police budgets on Thursday.

But the count was marred by voting figures with a 13.33 per cent turnout in Warrington.

Cheshire wide was only marginally better with 14.08 per cent turnout.

Speaking after winning the vote Mr Dwyer said he still had a mandate from the public to take up the role.

He said: “The turnout was disappointingly low and I have to ensure there’s a better understanding of the role.

“I have got the support of the people who turned out to vote. Everyone knew there was an election while not everyone understood what the role was.

“Some decided not to vote.

“November is a poor time of year to have an election. When you get home and it’s dark there’s not much incentive to vote in an election. I think the Government have understood that.”

He believes the role gives the public more of a say on policing and crime in their area.

Mr Dwyer added: “I’m sure the vast majority didn’t even know about the police authority which my role replaces.

“At long last since the start of the modern police force the public have had a real say in how the police is delivered. That has never happened before.”

And he says those with questions over whether the former assistant chief constable of Cheshire Police can remain impartial in his role will be shown it is not a problem.

“It isn’t an issue for me and isn’t an issue for the police,” he said. “I have been able to hit the ground running, I have understood what’s going on without having to go through lengthy briefings.”

“There is an awful lot of work to do, it won’t be done overnight and there won’t be any kneejerk moves.

“The post doesn’t formally start until Thursday but I agreed to come in early so we could start.”

And with policies including creating 1,000 special constables in every village there is much for Mr Dwyer to do in his three and a half year term.

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

12:31pm Fri 23 Nov 12

Nick Tessla says...

he says he has public support - what he does base this on, his mates down the golf club in Nantwich or at the local conservative club.


Nobody except a few of his fellow tories were crying out for this role and only 5% of the electorate voted for him as a first choice.


Many were unaware of the election taking place and many more did not understand (indeed do not understand) what the commissioner is for - this is mostly down to his party mishandling the organisation of this election.


Note to the Guardian - "1,000 special constables in every village" sounds a bit over the top don't you think - or did you mean 1000 in total for the force area?
he says he has public support - what he does base this on, his mates down the golf club in Nantwich or at the local conservative club. Nobody except a few of his fellow tories were crying out for this role and only 5% of the electorate voted for him as a first choice. Many were unaware of the election taking place and many more did not understand (indeed do not understand) what the commissioner is for - this is mostly down to his party mishandling the organisation of this election. Note to the Guardian - "1,000 special constables in every village" sounds a bit over the top don't you think - or did you mean 1000 in total for the force area? Nick Tessla

9:21pm Fri 23 Nov 12

the dr who says...

well he does not have my support, and the rubbish turnout across thew country says none of them have much support, jobs for the boys waste of tax payers money
well he does not have my support, and the rubbish turnout across thew country says none of them have much support, jobs for the boys waste of tax payers money the dr who

9:55pm Fri 23 Nov 12

old-codger says...

He only has support from 14 % of the public,
The other 86 % didnt want to know...
He only has support from 14 % of the public, The other 86 % didnt want to know... old-codger

9:56pm Fri 23 Nov 12

JoeyLad says...

What a **** **** he is!
What a **** **** he is! JoeyLad

9:57pm Fri 23 Nov 12

JoeyLad says...

****
**** JoeyLad

11:13am Mon 26 Nov 12

Nick Tessla says...

old-codger wrote:
He only has support from 14 % of the public, The other 86 % didnt want to know...
14% - he must dream of having that level of support!


14% is the percentage of people who bothered to vote in this farce organised by his party.


He was the first chpice candidate for a mere 5% of the electorate.


95% would have preferred someone else- or didn't bother to vote, either because they are not interested in voting for an individual to have all that power or, because of the appalling way in which the election was organised, had no idea who to vote for or even understand whet the election was about.
[quote][p][bold]old-codger[/bold] wrote: He only has support from 14 % of the public, The other 86 % didnt want to know...[/p][/quote]14% - he must dream of having that level of support! 14% is the percentage of people who bothered to vote in this farce organised by his party. He was the first chpice candidate for a mere 5% of the electorate. 95% would have preferred someone else- or didn't bother to vote, either because they are not interested in voting for an individual to have all that power or, because of the appalling way in which the election was organised, had no idea who to vote for or even understand whet the election was about. Nick Tessla

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree