BEN Currie marked his return to the England team in style to help Shaun Wane's side wrap up a series whitewash against Tonga.

Having sat out the first two Test victories, the Warrington Wolves man started out of position at centre at Headingley but contributed a try and an assist as the hosts won 26-4 to finish the year in style.

His Wire teammate Matty Ashton also crossed the whitewash in the first half in what was a polished England display against a disheartened and ill-disciplined touring side.

Skipper George Williams was restored to the line-up to good effect, with Daryl Clark and Danny Walker once again working in tandem at hooker.

Warrington Guardian: Matty Ashton is congratuled after scoring at HeadingleyMatty Ashton is congratuled after scoring at Headingley (Image:

Currie - a second rower by trade - was named as the man to replace injured Wire teammate Toby King in the centres and having been held up over the line early on, there were no question marks about his opener.

In truth, he merely adding the finishing touches to a flowing team move, with offloads from first John Bateman and then Tom Burgess sending Harry Smith through the line and the Wigan half found Currie, who stepped inside the full back to score between the posts.

It was another Bateman offload that resulted in Ashton diving over for his third try in two games - the Wests Tigers man got the ball out late to find Harry Newman, who drew in two defenders before slipping a lovely offload to send Ashton over.

Smith converted both and added a penalty before Currie's next try involvement - England broke from their own half as Tom Johnstone set off down the left touchline and found his centre in support, with Currie then handing on for Elliot Whitehead to mark his final international appearance with a try.

Whitehead almost had another courtesy of a neat grubber kick from the freshly-introduced Walker, but video referee Tom Grant ruled the veteran back rower had not grounded the ball cleanly.

Grant did award England a fourth try shortly afterwards, however, as an off-the-cuff team move led to Harry Newman's first international try.

Currie was heavily involved in that too as he broke through on the left, before a series of offloads and a laser-guided cross-field kick from Smith found Newman, who juggled to keep control but muscled his way over.

With the game won, the next task was to keep Tonga off the scoresheet but Eliesa Katoa ensured that would not happen as he touched down from a short ball to make sure the tourists at least had a try for their efforts.

That led to some sustained pressure from Tonga to finish the game, but England were able to hold them at bay comfortably enough.