WARRINGTON Wolves’ alarming slump in form continued on Thursday night.

Once again, a nightmare first half proved costly as Leeds Rhinos took a 16-0 lead inside the first quarter.

Ash Handley crossed twice after Sam Walters’ early opener, with Sam Kasiano also spending time in the sin bin as The Wire were booed off at half time.

Matty Ashton’s late try did at least mean they avoided the indignity of being ‘nilled’ on their home ground, but any faint hopes of a fightback were scotched by Richie Myler’s match-clinching score.

More boos followed at the final hooter as Warrington’s fifth defeat in their past six games was confirmed.

Warrington Guardian:

Warrington Wolves 6 Leeds Rhinos 22, post-match reaction

> BIG MATCH VERDICT: More questions raised and answers thin on the ground

> What Adrian Morley has had to say about Warrington Wolves' current struggles

> THE MORNING AFTER: Feelings made clear, more first-half woe and no easy answers

> Everything Daryl Powell said following loss to Leeds

> WIRE SOCIAL: Angry supporters flood social media after latest defeat

> Re-live the action from The Halliwell Jones Stadium as it happened

Match facts:

Super League, Round 17

Thursday, June 29, 2023

Warrington Wolves...6 Leeds Rhinos...22

Wolves: Josh Thewlis; Matty Russell, Peter Mata'utia, Stefan Ratchford, Matty Ashton; Matt Dufty, Josh Drinkwater; Gil Dudson, Daryl Clark, Paul Vaughan, Adam Holroyd, Ben Currie, Joe Philbin. Subs: Sam Kasiano, Joe Bullock, Danny Walker, Connor Wrench

Rhinos: Richie Myler; David Fusitu'a, Rhys Martin, Nene Macdonald, Ash Handley; Blake Austin, Aidan Sezer; Mikolaj Oledzki, Jarrod O'Connor, Sam Walters, James Bentley, James McDonnell, Cameron Smith. Subs: Sam Lisone, Tom Holroyd, James Donaldson. Not used: Corey Johnson

Scoring: Walters try, 6mins, Martin goal, 0-6; Handley try, 11mins, 0-10; Handley try, 15mins, Martin goal, 0-16; Ashton try, 63mins, Ratchford goal, 6-16; Myler try, 70mins, Martin goal, 6-22

Penalties: Wolves 9 Rhinos 7

Sin bin: Kasiano, 23mins (shoulder charge)

Referee: Chris Kendall

Attendance: 8,981