A FIRST-half hat-trick of tries from powerful centre Samantha Simpson helped Warrington Wolves to their first Women’s Super League victory of the season.

Lee Westwood’s side eventually saw off a spirited Huddersfield Giants in a 32-24 victory away from home.

When Simpson powered over in the corner from close range after just seven minutes to put Wire 4-0 up, it seemed they would make the most of their visit to sun-baked West Yorkshire.

But the home side recovered well and took advantage of some uncharacteristic Warrington errors to build a 12-point lead within the first 20 minutes.

Bethan Oates made the most of some weak defence to score on the right within minutes of the restart and although the conversion was missed, they powered over through winger Amelia Brown who beat the defence out wide and was then allowed to touch down under the posts to make the conversion a formality on 17 minutes.

Her second try just moments later meant the Giants were looking good at 16-4.

The introduction of Any Daniels from the bench galvanised Warrington, who tightened their defence and also began to enjoy better possession near the opposition try line.

Armani Sharrock looked to have powered over on 25 minutes only for the referee to harshly rule she had been held up over the line but from the resulting play, the ball was moved out wide for Simpson to crash over for her second.

Full-back Michelle Davis superbly converted from the touch line to bring Warrington back within touching distance.

With five minutes of the half to go, a strong run from second rower Kacy Haley was finished off by Simpson to complete her hat-trick under the posts. Davis tied up the scores at 16-16 to send the sides in level at half-time.

Despite some early second-half pressure, poor handling near the line let Warrington down and Huddersfield were the first to capitalise when substitute Abbie-May Millward was first to pounce on a bouncing kick to score on 52 minutes.

The missed conversion meant Warrington were still in touching distance and they drew level just a couple of minutes later when Simpson sent a great pass out wide for her winger Abigail Johnstone to cross in the corner.

But when Erin Stott went over for Huddersfield on the hour mark, it seemed like the home side were going to take control only for Davis to capitalise on a knock-on from the restart then convert to put Wire ahead 26-24.

Warrington Guardian: Michelle Davis touches downMichelle Davis touches down (Image: MKS Photography)

The home team still had chances to restore their lead but after a break was pulled back for a forward pass, Lucy Eastwood had the final say with a run from inside her own half to beat the cover defence and go in under the sticks to make the conversion easy for Davis.

Strong defence in the dying stages as the storm clouds started to gather was enough to see off a determined Giants team.

Attention now turns to the Challenge Cup quarter-finals, with Warrington travelling to St Helens on Sunday, kick off 12.30pm.

Wolves: Shannon Stephens; Abigail Johnston, Emily Baggaley, Samantha Simpson, Georgia Sutherland; Michelle Davis, Charlize Magraw; Armani Sharrock, Dani Bound, Amy Daniels, Katie May Williams, Kacy Haley, Georgia Westwood. Subs: Grace Ramsden, Emily Downs, Lauren Roberts, Abigail Latchford