BOTH Warrington Wolves Reserves wingers bagged hat-tricks in a 54-6 win against Newcastle Thunder at Kingston Park.

Frank Sergent crossed for the first three tries of the game and Dylon Braddish went one better with four scores after the break in an improved team performance.

Lewis Hughes and Aiden Doolan got in on the second-half scoring act too before Leon Hayes wrapped up the try account to go with his five successful conversions, while Hughes also banged over two goals.

Wolves Reserves stand-in head coach for the game, Alex Bielby, said: “Overall I am happy with the performance.

“We still made a few needless errors, which we need to fix up, but it was a much more improved display than our last couple of outings.

“We challenged the players before the game to defend tough and finish our sets in good areas. I think we did that really well and got the rewards for it.

“There were some outstanding individual performances, particularly from our outside backs who got our sets going really well.

“Our middles played tough against a much more physically developed Newcastle team and dominated them for large periods.

“There are still areas for improvement within the group but we are heading in the right direction and it gives us a good platform to build on going into the home game against London Broncos on May 13.”

Wolves opened the scoring in the third minute when slick passing on the last tackle close to the Newcastle line saw the ball reach full-back Hughes and his long ‘cut out’ pass found Sergent who scored in the left corner.

Midway through the half an error by Thunder on their own 20-metre line saw Sergent kick the loose ball ahead and he regathered it to score at the left of the posts. Scrum-half Hayes added the first of his conversions.

Just after the half hour another long ball from Lewis Hughes found Sergent out wide to complete a fine hat-trick on his debut for the Reserves.

Two minutes before the break Newcastle were rewarded for their endeavour when substitute Owen Reed forced his way over from dummy half, with Tyler Hepple converting to leave the half-time score 14-6 to Warrington.

Four minutes into the second half slick handling by Wolves saw the ball reach Lewis Hughes and his long pass was collected by Braddish who went over in the right corner.

Hayes converted from the touchline and then six minutes later a lovely break by Hayes split the Newcastle defence and his kick ahead saw Lewis Hughes collect to score in the left corner.

Wolves stretched their lead when Braddish intercepted a Thunder pass and raced 85 metres unopposed to score between the posts.

Hayes converted and then just before the hour mark a high kick on the last tackle by Hayes was fumbled by Newcastle and Braddish was on hand to pick up the loose ball and score wide out on the right to complete his hat-trick. Hayes added the conversion.

The next try for Wolves came when a strong carry by substitute Ashley Barnes got his side to within five metres of the Thunder line and from a quick play-the-ball hooker Doolan went from dummy half to score at the side of the posts.

Hayes converted and then Lewis Hughes took a 20-metre tap restart and cut through the Newcastle line on a 50-metre run before finding Hayes in support who weaved round three defenders to score in the left corner. Lewis Hughes took over the kicking duties and landed a fine touchline conversion.

Wolves brought up their half century four minutes from time when an error from Newcastle gave them a scrum deep into Thunder territory and from that Doolan found centre Isaac Reid down the short side who passed onto Lewis Hughes and he put Braddish over in the right corner for his fourth try. Lewis Hughes converted superbly from wide out to complete the win.

Wolves: Lewis Hughes; Dylon Braddish, Isaac Reid, Josh Lynch, Frank Sergent; Toby Hughes, Leon Hayes; Bobby Shingler, Aiden Doolan, Luke Thomas, Stephen Antrobus, Sam Marshall, Tom Whitehead. Subs: Adam Whalley, Jamie Reddecliff, Logan Raughter, Ashley Barnes, Peter Scott (18th man).