WARRINGTON Wolves under 19s were considered unlucky to lose their final Academy Championship game of the season at Wakefield Trinity.

Fortune was against them in the 22-20 defeat and Academy head coach Paul Anderson stated that the better team lost.

“I’m really disappointed for the group," he said.

"I felt that a lot of things went against us during the game but we showed great resilience to stay on task.

"Overall, we were the better team but didn’t get the rewards that we deserved."

Anderson reflected on the campaign, following on from 2020 being wiped out by the coronavirus pandemic.

"As a whole, the season has been testing but the way that all the players and backroom staff have dealt with the obvious challenges has been immense and a credit to the club,” he said.

Jake Thewlis, Noah Booth and Denive Balmforth all got over the whitewash in the first half for Warrington, with Dan Brewin crossing for the only Wire score of the second period. Lewis Hughes aded two conversions.

Wolves opened the scoring in the fifth minute when a planned move saw scrum-half Leon Hayes cleverly chip over the Wakefield defensive line and winger Thewlis collected the ball as the full-back approached, spun past him and then rounded the covering winger to score a superb try. Centre Hughes converted.

Six minutes later Trinity replied when a repeat set 10 metres from the Wolves line saw the ball swept out to second-rower Leon Ruan who powered over on the left. Scrum-half Robbie Butterworth added the conversion.

Shortly afterwards good hands by Wolves saw the ball reach Hayes and he found full-back Booth linking into the line and he glided through the defence to score a fine try wide out on the right.

Just before the half-hour mark Wakefield sent the ball out wide to winger Lewis Murphy and he raced 70 metres down the wing to outpace the Wolves defence and score at the left of the posts. Butterfield added the conversion to put his side in front for the first time.

Seven minutes before the break a lovely ball from Wolves substitute Tom Inman found hooker Balmforth at speed and he rounded the full-back on a 30-metre run to score between the posts. Hughes converted to give Wolves a 16-12 half-time advantage.

Four minutes into the second half Trinity were awarded a penalty on the last tackle 10 metres from the Wolves try line and the ball reached Ruan who used his strength to go over and level matters.

But six minutes later Wolves were back in front when Booth evaded an attempted tackle before chipping the ball into the in-goal area and centre Brewin reacted quickest to win the chase and score.

Just before the hour mark Trinity’s Murphy intercepted a Wolves pass and raced 60 metres to score at the side of the posts. Butterfield converted to edge the home side back into the lead.

With three minutes remaining Wolves thought that they had snatched victory when a lovely ball from Hayes found second-rower Jack Darbyshire running a great line to power through and score but unfortunately the touch judge said the pass went forward and the try was disallowed.

Wakefield: James Hartley; Carter Beevers, Oliver Farrar, Oliver Pratt, Lewis Murphy; Charlie Abraham, Robbie Butterworth; Pat O’Donovan, Kobe Poching, Sam Eseh, Leon Ruan, Luke Mearns, Harry Bowes. Subs: Josh Phillips, Courage Mkuhlani, Isaac Shaw, Robbie Mann, Ellis Roberts, Jack Smith, Ethan Wood.

Wolves: Noah Booth; James Hartill, Lewis Hughes, Dan Brewin, Jake Thewlis; Aiden Doolan, Leon Hayes; Kieran Rennox, Denive Balmforth, Luke Thomas, Adam Holroyd, Jack Darbyshire, Tom Whitehead. Subs: Tom Inman, Jamie Reddecliff, Fin Irwin, David Mills, Noah High, Nolan Tupaea, Peter Scott.