ARMED forces rugby league takes centre stage at Crosfields Recreation Ground on Saturday.

Three matches will be the star attraction of the 2024 Armed Forces Day festival in which the Tom Sephton Memorial Trophy will be up for grabs when a Crosfields RLFC Select take on The Army Rugby League.

The other games will feature Royal Marines versus Army Rugby League Development XIII and Mercian Regiment against Duke of Lancaster’s regiment.

This free event, which runs from 9am to 6pm and has refreshments available, also includes Armed Forces, veterans and cadets stands, stalls, activities and displays such as military vehicles and blank firing field gun.

Crosfields were defeated 40-26 at National Conference League Division One leaders Waterhead on Saturday.

With several players missing and the dry heat, it was a tough challenge.

Soap got off to a strong start and took the lead but the hosts responded.

After half time Crosfields dominated play for long periods but Waterhead always kept their noses in front.

Head coach Rob Campbell said: “I’m very pleased with how we started the game, let’s hope we repeat that for the rest of the season.

“I’m proud of the team, we dug deep and showed character. These are the players that don’t let their teammates down and they fight.”

Their next league game is home to Ince Rosebridge on Saturday, July 6.

Meanwhile, in the same division, Woolston Rovers produced a fantastic display to claim their first away win of the season at in-form Oulton Raiders 17-16.

Rovers opened the scoring in the ninth minute with a try from hooker Adam Files converted by centre Ben Dixon but Raiders levelled matters for half time.

Oulton nudged ahead with a penalty from but Rovers responded with a touchdown from winger Kieran Jones to go back in front.

The lead was short-lived as Oulton added a converted try but then loose forward Harry Files went over and Dixon converted to restore a Woolston lead wiped out by an Oulton penalty.

Rovers then had Harry Files sin binned for dissent but his teammates shrugged off the one-man disadvantage as they kept their composure and with two minutes remaining man-of-the-match stand-off Ryan Brown cooly slotted over the winning drop goal.

Head coach Liam Lawton said: “I am so proud of every player; they all put in an incredible shift to get us over the line.

“The effort and willingness to put their body on the line for each other shone through.”

Woolston: James Tarpey; Kieran Jones, Kieran Moore, Ben Dixon, Ben Roberts; Ryan Brown, Sean Kelly; Ben Crewe, Adam Files, Jake Proudlove, Jackson Phillips, Dan Fearnley, Harry Files. Subs: Craig Lawton, Sam Wood, Lewis Dawson, Andy Addison.

Latchford Albion suffered a 70-24 defeat when a ruthless Ashton side put them to the sword.

Albion were hit with a couple of late withdrawals, meaning coach Martyn Ellis had to juggle his squad around.

Despite the scoreline, Latchford were competitive in the first half, and went toe to toe with Ashton.

Two tries in the last five minutes of the half gave the hosts a 36-18 lead at the break.

Ashton ran in two converted tries in the opening exchanges of the second half, and Albion struggled to contain the momentum after that.

Best for Latchford was Alex Davies who registered an impressive 12 carries and 37 tackles and never gave up the cause.

Latchford have a chance to get back to winning ways this Friday when they face another away fixture, this time making the trip to face Shevington Sharks, kick off 7.30pm.

Woolston Rovers A fell 40-16 at home to Leyland Warriors in the North West Men’s League Entry Division.

Props Mitchell Clynes and Ryan Palin bagged first-half tries for Woolston but they turned around 18-10 adrift.

Two tries by Leyland in the opening 10 minutes of the second half put them in control.

Rovers refused to lie down and winger Declan Braddish went over for a try and Andy Brindley added his second conversion.