THERE has arguably never been a more remarkable 15 successive days in Warrington Wolves’ history than those experienced this month 70 years ago.

The Wire v Halifax trilogy of 1954 is the stuff of legend, a time when the substantial primrose and blue faithful were able to celebrate their club’s only Challenge Cup and Championship double.

But it was more than the glory of that stunning achievement in itself that takes the breath away, it was the manner in which the silverware salvo manifested.

Firstly, the sides that had finished first and second in the league table – the Yorkshire outfit pipping Warrington to top spot by one point – played out Wembley Stadium’s first ever Challenge Cup Final draw.

Eleven days later Cec Mountford’s men triumphed in the replay at Odsal Stadium, Bradford, in front of a mind-blowing world record crowd, and then in another three days’ time The Wire and Halifax squared up again in the Championship Final at Maine Road, Manchester, where Warrington became champions for only the second time.

Thrown into that same period was a play-offs win against St Helens.

Also remarkable is that only one team change was made by Mountford across all four games.

Sadly, none of the 14 players who represented The Wire in those games are still alive.

By any stretch of the imagination, they were amazing times for Warrington RLFC and their supporters whose heroes of the era like Brian Bevan, Jim Challinor, Gerry Helme, Harry Bath and Bob Ryan were superstars of their day and remembered with so much fondness 70 years on.

When Warrington and Halifax met in front of a crowd of 81,841 at Wembley on Saturday, April 24, it was the first time that season they had squared up. With 30 teams making up the Championship in those days, not every side was played against.

The two teams were wary of each other’s considerable talents and a dour spectacle ensued and finished locked at 4-4.

Australian forward Bath and Halifax full-back Tyssull Griffiths each kicked two penalties for their sides in what is still the only Challenge Cup Final showdown without a try being scored.

Six other penalty kicks were missed by Bath, while three from Griffiths were off target though his last attempt two minutes from time shaved a post.

So all roads led to Bradford for the replay on Wednesday May 5, four days after The Wire booked their place in the Championship Final at Maine Road with an 11-0 win over St Helens at Wilderspool.

But those roads to the Odsal bowl were gridlocked such was the clamour to see the replay.

A 60,000 strong crowd had been predicted but Mountford's men beat Halifax 8-4 in front of a world record 102,569 supporters, although historians generally consider there were thousands more than that in attendance and as many more again that did not get in.

Vehicles got dumped and some walked for miles only to be met by choking turnstiles.

Some climbed over walls and fences to get in, and, through a fear of crushing, gates were opened to ease the congestion and fans flooded the scene.

Those who managed to gain entry had a tough job to find a vantage point. Some watched the game at pitch level inside the boundary wall and dangerously close to the action.

The terracing was made of railway sleepers sunk into ash, and there were reports of people lifting the sleepers and piling them so that they could stand on top for a better view.

Some turned round and went home, others who travelled found a pub to listen to the commentary on the radio.

Afterwards, there were fans who reported not getting home until 5am the next day due to the traffic congestion.

The match was a cracker but it was the occasion and the amazing pre-motorway scramble of the mass turnout which witnessed Warrington's fourth Challenge Cup success that stands out to this day.

Warrington full-back Eric Frodsham, the stand-in captain for the injured Ally Naughton, lifted the cup thanks to tries by centre Jim Challinor and scrum-half Gerry Helme, who that night became the first person to win the man of the match Lance Todd Trophy twice.

Back-row forward Harry Bath kicked one goal.

And after all that, three days later they did it all again at Maine Road for the right to be crowned champions.

Warrington, who had also won the Lancashire League that season, produced a formidable defensive effort and this time Bath kicked four penalty goals to seal an 8-7 win and clinch the double in front of 36,519 supporters.

Just to cap it all, it was the season Bevan became the highest try scorer in rugby league history but there was much more to come from him of course over the next eight years.

Wire team: Eric Frodsham; Brian Bevan, Jim Challinor, Arnold Stevens (Wembley)/Ron Ryder (Odsal and Maine Road), Stan McCormick; Ray Price, Gerry Helme; Danny Naughton, Frank Wright, Gerry Lowe, Harry Bath, Austin Heathwood, Bob Ryan