WARRINGTON Town earned a credible point at newly-crowned champions Tamworth, who lifted the National League North trophy after a 1-1 draw at The Lamb Ground.

Tamworth had only conceded nine goals at home all season but Dubem Eze made that 10 early in the second half after the Yellows had been pushed back throughout the first half by the runaway champions.

A scruffy Nathan Tshikuna shot, deflected in off Dec Walker, had given Tamworth the lead on the half-hour mark but thought the Yellows were nowhere near their best, they came away with a share of the spoils.

The Yellows faced a first half barrage of set pieces, be it Tom Tonks' long throw-ins or corner kicks from either side, not helped by a strong wind that made it increasingly difficult for the visitors to get across the half way line.

It meant a particularly busy afternoon for Peter Clarke and Dan Atherton, amongst others, with Atherton also getting down well to save low shots from the excellent Ben Acquaye and Kyle Finn.

All the Yellows could muster was a half chance for Connor Woods, a half-volley from the edge of the box, in a rare foray forward as Jas Singh was a mere spectator.

Tamworth broke the deadlock on the half-hour mark, unsurprisingly from a set piece. A Ben Milnes corner was only half cleared and Tshikuna’s scruffy shot on the turn was deflected past his own keeper by Walker.

Woods and Walker were forced off with injuries before half time, Woods having been caught on the calf by Acquaye in a challenge that saw the Tamworth man booked.

Those changes forced a reshuffle and in the second half, Matt Grivosti had a greater influence over the game in a more central role.

It was he who created space for Matty McDonald to find Eze, who struck low, across the ‘keeper from the right to level things up against the run of play.

News soon filtered through that the result on the day didn’t matter, as Tamworth’s only rivals Chorley were losing at Buxton, and the record crowd of 2,938 soon started counting down to the trophy celebrations.

Warrington nearly spoiled the party late on, Grivosti’s well-hit low shot tipped wide by Singh, but the day belonged to Tamworth, who return to the National League for the first time in 10 years.

Warrington Town: Atherton, Walker (Eze), Gumbs, Clarke, Hannigan, Pasiek, Williams, McDonald, Grivosti, Woods (Amis), Buckley-Ricketts. Subs not used: Goudie, Brooks, Gill.