A GAME Warrington Town could have lost, but also one they could have won.

That was the verdict of manager Mark Beesley after his side drew 2-2 at Scarborough Athletic on Good Friday.

Yellows led twice at the Flamingo Land Stadium – Connor Woods putting them in front early on before Peter Clarke’s header re-established the lead late on – but were pegged back by the hosts, with Oliver Dyson’s stunning leveller coming shortly after Clarke’s goal.

Indeed, they then needed goalkeeper Dan Atherton to save a late Harry Green penalty to ensure they left with a point.

“It was one of those games – we could have lost it, but we could definitely have won it,” Beesley said.

“We’re a little bit disappointed but also, you’re thinking you’d take a point.

“It’s a difficult place to come – we’ve travelled to Peterborough in midweek and then to come here just three days later, we’ve taken four points so it’s probably a good week.

“To go 2-1 up and then having a great chance to go 3-2 up means it’s a little disappointing, but Dan has saved a penalty so it’s probably a fair result in the end.”

Woods’ improvised finish from Sean Williams’ corner gave Town the perfect start as they hit the front after just three minutes.

Lively winger Cameron Wilson squeezed an effort beyond Atherton to level matters before the break, but another Williams corner led to Yellows regaining the lead, with Peter Clarke heading home unmarked at the far post.

However, they were pegged back by a stunning long-range effort from Dyson, who arrowed a shot from all of 35 yards into Atherton’s top corner.

“We had a great start,” Beesley said.

“We spoke a lot about set pieces and we had some plans there so that’s pleasing.

“We’ve not scored enough from set-pieces for me – I’m always harping on at the lads about scoring from set pieces, especially the defenders.

“It’s disappointing we didn’t hold on but to be fair, it’s probably goal of the season for their second.

“It was an absolute wonder-strike – you’re almost wanting him to shoot from there but he’s caught it sweet and it’s flown into the top corner. There’s not much you can do about those.”

Dyson’s leveller came shortly after an unsavoury incident as Woods left the field to be substituted which appeared to lead to a home supporter being ejected from the Flamingo Land Stadium

Beesley says Woods was spat at as he walked around the pitch, with the allegation affirmed in a post-match report to the referee.

However, the Town boss was critical of the official’s handling of things immediately before, with Woods being made to leave the field behind the goal as opposed to crossing the pitch directly to the dug-out before being replaced by Josh Amis, therefore bringing him into closer contact with the crowd.

“I think the referee has got to show some common sense and allow him to come off the pitch towards the dug-out,” Beesley said.

“If he does, that incident doesn’t happen but because he didn’t and wanted to make a big issue about it, it leads to Connor being spat at.

“Luckily, Connor represents the club in the right way and doesn’t get involved – 99 people out of 100 probably react but he didn’t.

“He could have added a minute on if he needed to – it was something that didn’t need to happen.”

Dyson’s leveller further livened the crowd, who sensed a winner when Green was bundled over inside the area by Jay Harris.

However, Atherton came to the rescue by diving to his right to keep out Green’s spot-kick and Town saw out a result that mathematically secured their safety from relegation.

“To be mathematically certain of being in the National League North next season with four games to go is a brilliant achievement for the lads and the club,” Beesley said.

“The first target was to make sure we were a National League club again next year and we’ve done that more comfortably than plenty would have thought.

“We deserve it and with four games to go, we’ve still got an outside chance of the play-offs and we’ll keep pushing for it because you never know what can happen.”