WARRINGTON Town were thankful to goalkeeper Dan Atherton for preserving a point on the road at Scarborough Athletic.

The Yellows stopper made a superb penalty save late on, keeping out Harry Green’s penalty in the final few minutes after Oliver Dyson’s stunning long-range goal had pulled the hosts level for the second time in the game.

That came shortly after Peter Clarke had headed Town back in front – the second time the visitors had scored from a Sean Williams set piece after Connor Woods had flicked home an early goal.

Woods’ goal had looked set to give Warrington a half-time lead, but Cameron Wilson restored parity at the break.

Warrington Guardian: Dan Atherton saves Harry Green's penaltyDan Atherton saves Harry Green's penalty (Image: Sean Walsh)

Read Matt Turner's verdict on proceedings below

WARRINGTON Town could be forgiven for having some mixed feelings about this result.

In a game they led twice, there will be a natural frustration that they could not make it a perfect week on the road having beaten Peterborough Sports in midweek.

Based on the run of the game, however, it is a point they will end up being happy with especially having needed Dan Atherton to rescue them late on.

By flinging himself to his right to keep out Harry Green’s penalty, Atherton ensured his side had something to show for their long Good Friday trip.

That came during a period in which Town could have been overwhelmed by a surging home side backed by a fervent home crowd, which was livened by several incidents which saw the game become tetchy.

Home fans were first aggrieved – rightly so – that the corner that led to Peter Clarke’s header to put Town ahead again was taken from comfortably outside the quadrant. How much of a difference it would have made is debatable, but it should have been spotted.

Warrington Guardian: Peter Clarke celebrates scoring Town's second goalPeter Clarke celebrates scoring Town's second goal (Image: Sean Walsh)

An altercation then took place between a home supporter and Connor Woods as the Town player made his way around the field having been substituted and when Oliver Dyson crashed in a stunning leveller seconds later, the ground was alive.

To that end, Town deserve credit for calmly taking the sting out of the game following the penalty as referee Robert Klaussen lost all control of proceedings.

So four points from two lengthy away trips in the space of four days and mathematical safety from relegation – a week Yellows can feel extremely happy with.

Now, they will look to rally the troops for one last big push to the end of what has been an excellent season.

Warrington Town: Atherton, Hannigan, Gumbs, Harris, Woods (Amis), Williams, McDonald, Eze (Grivosti), Buckley-Ricketts, Wisdom (Walker), Clarke. Subs not used: O’Keefe, Pasiek

Warrington Guardian: