WARRINGTON Town were “more like themselves” in winning at Peterborough Sports on Tuesday night, manager Mark Beesley said.

Yellows ran out 3-1 winners in Cambridgeshire to ensure they rebounded from back-to-back home defeats.

Connor Woods and full debutant Dubem Eze had put them in total command until Turbines player-manager Michael Gash pulled a goal back for the hosts, but Matty McDonald added a third goal to calm any nerves.

“It was really pleasing – we were more like ourselves tonight,” Beesley said.

“We had a bit of quality, a bit of grit and determination to see through periods when we were put under pressure.

“On another day, we probably score two or three more in the first half and that’s something we’ve probably not been good at of late.

“In saying that, we can’t argue with coming away from home on a Tuesday night and winning 3-1.

“The first 20 minutes was quite fast and furious but once it settled down a bit, we scored and created a few more chances.

“We had good quality on the counter-attack all game and scored some really good goals.

“It’s always tight at 2-1 but getting that third goal made the last few minutes comfortable.”

Eze, who joined on loan from Norwich City, was brought into the starting line-up and marked the occasion by scoring Town’s second goal just after half time, after the visitors had seen several chances to extend the lead given to them by Woods go begging.

Having been released in behind the home defence, he arrowed a superb finish beyond goalkeeper Peter Crook.

“It was a great goal,” Beesley said.

“He had a great chance one-on-one with his marker in the first half and he wasn’t as positive as we’ve seen him be in training, so we just told him to be a bit more positive.

“From where we were, it’s a great finish across the keeper with his left foot.

“He’s a great footballer – he’s come in and is a credit to himself with the way he’s settled in and got to know everybody.

“Hopefully, there’s plenty more to come from him.”

Town did make life harder for themselves than it could have been by allowing Peterborough to halve the deficit, with Gash lashing home after a cross fell to him at the far post.

The goal came while centre-half Tom Hannigan was off the field receiving treatment for an injury and while disadvantaged, Beesley says there was more his players could have done to stop what followed.

“We needed to be a bit more streetwise in getting out there and stopping the cross,” he said.

“It’s taken a deflection and come through to Gash, who’s got good contact on it but we have to stop that at source.

“We know they want to cross the ball and we should have maybe organised things a bit quicker with Tom off the pitch.”

As the hosts sensed an opportunity to steal an unlikely point, Town rode the storm and found a decisive third goal when McDonald expertly steered home.

That allowed them to see out the remaining minutes in comfort and send their travelling fans home happy.

“We could hear them all the way through the game – to come here in good numbers on a Tuesday night is outstanding and we thank them for that,” Beesley said of the supporters who made the trip south.

“They’ve been great all season and have stuck with us even through the dodgy patch we’ve had at home and they got their rewards tonight.”