SCUNTHORPE United closed the gap on National League North leaders Tamworth with a 2-0 win at 10-man Warrington Town.

Danny Whitehall deflected Jacob Butterfield’s header home midway through the first half to give the visitors the lead and Michael Clunan sealed the points in injury time.

The Yellows played the last 25 minutes with 10 men after Jay Harris was shown a straight red card for a flying tackle on Tom Pugh.

It was a cagey contest throughout with very few chances, the Yellows failing to trouble Ross Fitzsimons at all – a stark contrast to the reverse fixture where he won man of the match for keeping them at bay.

Whitehall’s opening goal was the first real sight at goal in the match. The ball was worked down the right for Dion Sembie-Ferris to cross and Butterfield’s flying header deflected off Whitehall, wrongfooting Dan Atherton who made a typically agile save, only to see Whitehall do enough to force home the rebound with Atherton clambering to keep the spinning ball out at the second attempt.

The only other save Atherton had to make in the first half was a comfortable one to his right to deny Max Kouogun’s header, though only a superb Peter Clarke tackle could stop Butterfield from yards out on the stroke of half time.

Sean Williams’ deflected shot flew over the bar, and the only other incident of note at the other end saw Isaac Buckley-Ricketts controversially booked for simulation as he lost his footing in the box in possession.

Although Warrington commanded possession for spells at the start of the second half, they couldn’t find a way of breaking the visitors down and their task was made even more difficult when Harris was given his marching orders.

Despite losing a man, they retained composure though Scunthorpe were happy to watch them on the ball.

In the final few minutes, Scunthorpe started to make the most of their extra man – lively substitute Kai Corbett forced a good save out of Atherton, who also denied another substitute Cal Roberts, who had cut in from the right to shoot.

The second goal came deep in to injury time, with Roberts holding the ball up in the box to thread through for Clunan to poke home inside the far corner.

Warrington Town: Atherton; Gumbs, Wisdom, Clarke, White; Harris, Williams; Woods, McDonald, Buckley-Ricketts; Amis (Eze). Subs not used: O’Keefe, Hannigan, Walker, Grivosti