MARK Beesley says Tuesday night’s win over Farsley Celtic was just reward for a purposeful display from his Warrington Town side.

Yellows were 2-0 winners in West Yorkshire to stay on the brink of the play-off spots – they are now three points adrift of the top-seven following their eighth away victory of the season.

Two goals in three first-half minutes from Connor Woods proved decisive as Town rebounded from the disappointment of losing 3-0 at home to Southport last time out.

And Beesley says the pain of that defeat was used as fuel through the week of preparation for their return to action.

“The result hurt us, so we gave the lads the Thursday off as they were really hurting,” he said.

“Then on Saturday, we had a really positive training session and brought it into tonight.

“This season, we’ve tended to bounce back from defeats and we’ve done that really well again tonight.

“I thought it was a really good performance from us. I thought we were excellent.

“We showed intent straight away in the game and we were probably disappointed we weren’t one or two goals up early on.

“They came back into it a little bit more, but we kept going and scored two great goals.

“The second one is a particularly good one but even with the first, it’s a great bit of play and it’s fell nicely for Connor to tap it in.

“We were talking on the bench about being disappointed we weren’t ahead – we were just past the half-hour mark and we could have done with a goal to back up the way we had been playing.

“We nicked two and then in the second half, you expect a reaction but we kept them at arm’s length.

“We defended well as a team from the front to the back – they put you under pressure but we coped with that, and we could have sealed the game on the counter-attack.”

Woods was in the right place at the right time to open the scoring, prodding home the rebound after Evan Gumbs had been denied twice in quick succession by Farsley goalkeeper Zan-Luk Leban before arrowing a superb finish into the far corner shortly afterwards to double his tally.

The forward strived for a third goal to seal his hat-trick after the break as Town themselves pressed, with Isaac Buckley-Ricketts thudding a long-range effort off the crossbar, but he and they were forced to settle for two.

“We were willing it in for him – we wanted him to get the hat-trick his performance deserved but it wasn’t to be,” Beesley said of Woods.

“He was excellent for us throughout – his play has been very good and the second goal is a trademark finish from him.

“He missed one similar a few weeks ago and it’s taken him a while to get over it but his finishing was really good today.”