WARRINGTON Town produced another late show to take a point on the road this evening.

Connor Woods lashed home a 90th-minute leveller to rescue a point for Mark Beesley’s men at Darlington and stretch their unbeaten run in National League North away games to four matches.

Town had looked set for defeat having been second best for much of the game, falling behind in the 15th minute to Jarrett Rivers’ close-range header.

Just as time looked to be running out, however, Woods produced an excellent finish from the edge of the box after home stopper Tommy Taylor had punched Sean Williams’ free kick into his path.

> Read Town boss Mark Beesley's post-match thoughts here

Read Matt Turner's full verdict on the game below

THIS game could well mark something of a turning point for Warrington Town in certain respects.

Before this, matches in which they have played below their best this season have resulted in them taking nothing – defeats to Banbury United and Peterborough Sports spring immediately to mind.

It looked to be the case on this occasion too having been second best to a resurgent Darlington side, but they found a way to minimise the damage.

They may have their shortcomings and numbers may be low, but one thing that can never be called into question about this squad is their willingness to dig deep for one another.

That character and togetherness has got them out of quite a few scrapes already in the past few months, and it allowed them to leave with a point.

Connor Woods – the scorer of so many critical goals for Town – was the hero with an excellent late finish just as the clock ticked over to 90 minutes to leave the home fans exacerbated.

They had watched their side control the game pretty much from the off, belying their lowly position in the table.

In possession, they knocked the ball around Town’s half-hearted and confused attempts at a press and out of it, they hunted in packs with the ball frequently won back in dangerous areas.

While it may not have translated to mountains of clear-cut opportunities, they had Yellows looking like rabbits in the headlights at times.

They were held together by their two central defenders – despite the traffic being sent their way, Andre Wisdom and Tom Hannigan were towers of strength. The former was forced off late on and with Peter Clarke and Evan Gumbs already missing, they will be praying his knock is nothing serious.

The lead given to them by Jarrett Rivers’ header, which stemmed from one of the alarmingly plentiful occasions Town were caught in possession deep inside their own half, was more than merited but as time went on, they got more frantic and the visitors sensed a chance.

Still, they weren’t causing their hosts too many moments of alarm until Woods struck a superbly controlled volley after a free kick he had won with some typically tenacious dribbling was punched in his direction.

While this could definitely fall into the “got out of jail” category, Town were one superb Tommy Taylor save away from the ultimate smash-and-grab victory – the Darlington stopper produced a stunning stop to deny Dec Walker’s goalbound header in the dying seconds.

Of course, performances will have to be better but the fact they were able to take something from it will give them plenty of heart.

Warrington Town: Atherton, Walker, Hannigan, Woods, Williams, Amis, Dixon (Bennett), Buckley-Ricketts, Duggan, Wisdom (Kay), Grivosti (White). Subs not used: Goudie, Gill