PERHAPS a break in matches for the next two weekends will allow everyone who attended Lymm’s game on Saturday to get their breath back and for the players to rest any niggles.

Lymm trailed 26-3 inside 18 minutes at Otley but after getting a foothold they gathered momentum and took control to the point that they led 34-31 after 55 minutes.

But they conceded two converted tries in a five-minute spell in the final quarter to eventually lose 45-34.

It leaves them second from bottom with two wins from seven in their historic first season in National League 2 North at the point that matches are put on ice while focus is on the Rugby World Cup final two weekends in France.

But it is not doom and gloom, Lymm have shown plenty of good signs at this higher level and things are very tight in the bottom half such that one win could propel them as high as mid-table.

Director of rugby Adam Fletcher said: “We were hit by a whirlwind of points in the first 20 minutes. Otley were excellent during that period.

“I thought from 20 minutes to 65 minutes we were outstanding. Our attack shape looked brilliant, and we took our chances.

“Leading 34-31 with 15 minutes to go we maybe lost a little bit of concentration and let Otley get back in the game. Otley finished the game strongly.”

He added: “I’m really proud of the boys and happy with the improvements the forwards made at maul time from last week.

“We need the break, hopefully we will have some boys back for the visit of Hull Ionians in three weeks.”

Scrum-half Callum Morris got the try that started the Lymm fightback, picking up and diving over from a maul that had powered to one yard short of the line.

And he scooted over again from a quickly taken penalty after Otley’s discipline succumbed to Lymm pressure, with two players receiving yellow cards.

So at 26-17 it was game on again, although a piece of individual brilliance led to Otley scoring the final try of the half.

That did not quash Lymm’s spirit or momentum though, and three tries in nine minutes in the third quarter from Steve Pilkington, Ben Thompson and Harry Martin, with the last one converted by Shard, put them in front for the first time.

Lymm were winning the collisions and taking play to Otley at every opportunity and it was felt one more try would surely be enough to break Otley’s spirits.

But the game changed again when the home side’s excellent full-back Dinsdale produced a 60-metre kick return that produced a try and Lymm started to make mistakes that led to them conceding the final try of the game.

Try as they could in the remaining 13 minutes, Lymm were not able to regain the momentum.

Lymm: Gav Woods, James Pitcher, Matty Hand, James Yates, Rhys Lilly, Sean Callender, Harry Martin, Josh Hadland, Callum Morris, Tom Shard, Paddy Jennings, Ste Pilkington, James Kimber, Andy Williams, Jack Reynolds. Bench: Joe Higgins, Beh Thompson, Alex Stewart, Joe Johnson, Jack Stride.