LIFE in the National League North got off to the dream start for Warrington Town.

Mark Beesley’s men produced a clinical performance to thrash Southport in their opening game of the season at Haig Avenue.

Sean Williams curled them in front on the stroke of half time, sending an exquisite effort into the far corner following a short corner routine.

Just after the interval, Luke Duffy doubled the lead as he volleyed home a superb cross from Bohan Dixon, who had led a Town counter-attack.

Warrington Guardian: Luke Duffy volleys home Town's second goalLuke Duffy volleys home Town's second goal (Image: Sean Walsh)

Dixon himself scored Yellows’ third after being put through on goal by Isaac Buckley-Ricketts, who rounded off the scoring following another break.

> Read manager Mark Beesley's post-match reaction here

Read sports reporter Matt Turner's verdict on the game here

WHEN everyone associated with Warrington Town Football Club went to bed last night, they will have dreamed of getting off to the perfect start.

However, not even those with the most vivid of imaginations would have envisioned this.

In facing a seasoned Step Two side like Southport, this was seen as the perfect acid test for Mark Beesley’s side as to their readiness for the new level.

It may not have been quite as straightforward as the scoreline suggests, but they passed that test with flying colours to leave their travelling army of more than 400 fans singing in the coastal rain.

Warrington Guardian: Town stunned Southport with an incisive and clinical displayTown stunned Southport with an incisive and clinical display (Image: Sean Walsh)

They did have to ride their luck at times, particularly in a first half that the hosts largely dominated, albeit without creating too many chances that weren’t denied by the offside flag.

Tony Thompson was also perhaps a little fortunate to stay on the field after picking the ball up outside his area with the score at 0-0, with only a yellow card issued.

Once Sean Williams curled a superb opener into the far corner after a textbook short corner routine, however, Town never looked back.

If the timing of that goal – right on the stroke of half time – was critical, that of Luke Duffy’s second just three minutes after the break was even moreso and set Yellows on a path to domination.

Warrington Guardian: Sean Williams' effort nestles in the top cornerSean Williams' effort nestles in the top corner (Image: Sean Walsh)

They were happy to sit in an organised shape and spring jet-heeled counter-attacks which the home side had no answer to.

Williams was superb in his position sat in front of the Town back four, reading the game expertly and allowing the release of those higher up the field to cause chaos.

This team are clearly full of confidence and riding a wave of optimism fuelled by last season’s joy.

If they can make it last a little longer, they will already be well on their way to their stated aim of securing their National League North spot for another year.

Things won’t always be this easy, but Town have created another memory that will not be forgotten for a long time.

Warrington Town: Thompson, White, Hannigan, Gumbs, Woods (Buckley), Williams, McDonald (Walker), Duffy (Clarke), Dixon, Buckley-Ricketts, Duggan. Subs not used: Atherton, Bennett

Warrington Guardian: Bohan Dixon rounds Southport keeper Chris Renshaw to put Town 3-0 upBohan Dixon rounds Southport keeper Chris Renshaw to put Town 3-0 up (Image: Sean Walsh)