MAL Holt felt Woolston Rovers let two points slip from their grasp at Shaw Cross Sharks on Saturday in a game where four players were shown a red card.

For the second week in a row, they suffered defeat late on when they fell 30-26 in the National Conference League Division Two game at Leeds Road, Dewsbury.

They had led 20-6 at the break.

Rovers head of rugby Mal Holt said: “We were in total control for long periods and to not get anything from the game was very disappointing.

“There were several strange decisions for both sides but we should have controlled the game better in the second half.”

Scott Whiteley crossed for two of Rovers’ tries, with Alex Pendlebury, Adam Files and Dec Leonard also touching down, while Theo Holt kicked two goals.

Rovers got off to the perfect start when they opened the scoring in the very first minute with a try from winger Pendlebury and then three minutes later hooker Adam Files crossed wide out for 8-0.

The home side got off the mark on 15 minutes with a try from prop Zac Parkinson that loose-forward Dec Tomlinson converted but Rovers were soon back on the front foot as loose-forward Whiteley scored a try and then just before the half hour scrum-half Leonard also went over for a four pointer.

Full-back Holt converted both tries to give his side a deserved 20-6 half-time lead although they were reduced to 12 men two minutes before the break when centre Kieran Moore was sent off for throwing a punch.

Shaw Cross came out firing straight after the restart when winger Lucas Howley scored two tries within seven minutes.

Tomlinson converted the latter and then almost immediately full-back Callum Barker went over for a try. Tomlinson’s conversion put the home side ahead for the first time.

A melee then ensued with the referee dismissing Rovers substitute Oliver Livett along with Shaw Cross centre Brandan French and Howley to leave both sides with 11 men.

When Shaw Cross were temporarily reduced to 10 men with the sin binning of Tomlinson for dangerous contact Rovers took advantage of the extra man as Whiteley went over for his second try, with Holt tagging on the extras.

As the game reached the final two minutes Shaw Cross substitute Lucas Smith went over for a try. Tomlinson converted and then added a last-minute penalty to seal the home win.

Best for Rovers were Adam Files, Holt, Whiteley and Harry Files.

Rovers: Theo Holt; Alex Pendlebury, Kieran Moore, Ben Dixon, Tom Byrne; Ryan Brown, Dec Leonard; Harry Files, Adam Files, Ryan Hickman, Sam Vernon, Dan Fearnley, Scott Whiteley. Subs: Sean Boyle, Oliver Livett, Sam Roberts, Craig Lawton.