A DEPLETED Crosfields side fell 32-18 against Heworth in York in National Conference League Division One.

Soap’s tries were scored by Luke Walker, Joe Clarke and Daniel Cassidy, who also kicked three goals.

Crosfields dug deep and showed massive character and spirit.

Despite losing their in-form second-rower Jordan Williams to injury midway through the first half, Soap did not allow themselves to be rattled and with 14 minutes to go there was an upset on the cards.

But an exhausted Crosfields could not find any more energy and a tired pack eventually lost their grip on the game, with Heworth running in two late scores.

Coach Peter Cannon said: “It’s strange, but it almost feels like a win!

“The return fixture is one not to be missed. I feel so proud of those 17, they never took a backward step.

“With two home games on the bounce, I’m confident we will climb the table.”

Soap host Thornhill Trojans on Saturday, kick-off 2.30pm.

WOOLSTON Rovers suffered last-second heartache as a converted try seven minutes into injury time saw them lose their 100 per cent record 18-16 at the hands of Dewsbury Moor Maroons in an enthralling National Conference League Division Two game.

Hooker Adam Files crossed twice for Rovers, with centre Dan Fearnley also touching down and Dec Leonard adding two conversions.

Woolston led by 10 points after 50 minutes but Dewsbury roared back, despite twice losing men to the sin bin.

Rovers’ head of rugby Mal Holt said: “It was a good hard-fought game and we were so unlucky to lose it at the death.

“We travelled with a much-changed side from previous weeks but all who pulled a shirt on should be proud of their efforts on a heavy pitch against an aggressive Dewsbury side.

“The game was close all the way through and to be fair I think we were the better team but we just could not put enough daylight between us and them and they pinched it at the end.

“We will regroup this week, get some bodies back in and go to Saddleworth in a positive frame of mind.”

It took until the 17th minute for the deadlock to be broken as the home side hit the front with a try from hooker Ryan Crossley.

Full-back Aiden Ineson converted but then with five minutes remaining in the first half Rovers responded with a trademark try from hooker Files, with Leonard converting.

Three minutes into the second half Rovers went ahead with a second try from Files. Leonard converted and then seven minutes later centre Dan Fearnley scored to move Rovers 10 points ahead.

Dewsbury Moor had Ineson sin-binned for use of a swinging arm on the floor but almost immediately they got back into the game with a try from prop forward James Samme. Scrum half Louie Walker converted to narrow the deficit to just four points.

Maroons winger Jake Butterfield was then shown a yellow card for an accidental kick to the head but Rovers were unable to capitalise on the numerical advantage.

Then with almost the last touch of the game Samme crashed over at the side of the posts to level matters. Ineson added the simple conversion to break Rovers’ hearts.

The man of the match was awarded to Rovers loose-forward Harry Files, with second row Scott Whiteley and prop Ryan Palin also catching the eye.

Rovers: Ben Dixon; Simon Bishop, Dan Fearnley, Craig Woolvine, Louis Griffiths; Ryan Brown, Dec Leonard; Ryan Palin, Adam Files, Matt Taylor, Ryan Hickman, Scott Whiteley, Harry Files. Subs: Will Roberts, Theo Holt, Lewis Dawson, Sam Roberts.

Woolston will be away to Saddleworth Ranggers on Saturday, kick-off 2.30pm.

LATCHFORD Albion paid the price for poor starts to each half when they fell to 32-12 defeat at home to Blackbrook on Thursday night.

The hosts found themselves 10-0 down after only 10 minutes, as Brook raced out of the blocks.

Albion got a foothold in the game when Jack Sherratt crashed his way over on 15 minutes, with Rob Marsh converting.

Shortly after they took the lead. This time it was Marsh who crossed and converted.

A further Blackbrook score on 35 minutes saw them regain the lead and at half-time the game was in the balance.

Any hopes of a strong Albion half were hampered when Reece Hughes was sin-binned on 45 minutes, with the visitors exploiting the extra space to register two quickfire converted tries to ultimately put the game out of the reach of the hosts.

A further try on 70 minutes giving the scoreline a somewhat harsh reflection of a game Latchford had been competitive throughout.

This Saturday Albion have another home fixture, when they entertain Hindley, kick off 2.30PM WOOLSTON Rovers A bounced back to winning ways with a brilliant home victory over previously unbeaten league leaders Roose Pioneers 32-22 in the North West Men’s League Division Two.

Tries by centre Kyle Cherrett, his second of the game, and hooker Jack Hancock in the second period sealed the success.

Rovers NCL head coach Billy Sheen, who took control of the NWML side for this game, said: “That really was a great effort from 1-17; every player gave their all and got their just reward.

“To beat the unbeaten league leaders was a great confidence boost for the lads after a couple of poor results. It certainly was no fluke and thoroughly deserved.

“To keep them pointless in the second half was particularly pleasing and hopefully we can build on this win over the next few weeks.”

Second-rower Patryk Mazur, two, and stand-off Craig Lawton were Rovers’ other try scorers.

Rovers A: Andy Ward; Joe Oakes, Callum Moore, Kyle Cherrett, Jack Inman; Craig Lawton, Jay-Jay Catterall; Ben Crewe, Jack Hancock, Andy Addison, Tom Fagan, Patryk Mazur, Sam Wood. Subs: Tom Atherton, Paul Alcock, Mike Lagar, Rob Griffiths.