WARRINGTON Rylands' hopes of lifting the NPL West Division title are now out of their hands.

They had been on course for victory at main rivals Workington AFC this afternoon until a stunning long-range equaliser from home full-back Matty Clarke ensured a share of the spoils.

With nine minutes remaining, Clarke unleashed a rocket from all of 30 yards which goalkeeper Graeme McCall had no chance of stopping.

Blues remain top, a point ahead of their hosts, but the Cumbrians' game in hand means Dave McNabb's side will now be reliant on favours from elsewhere if they are to lift the title.

Scott Bakkor had put Rylands ahead at the break, heading home Andy Scarisbrick's cross.

Warrington Guardian:

Scott Bakkor celebrates the opening goal. Picture by John Hopkins

Listen to Rylands manager Dave McNabb's post-match thoughts below

Read sports reporter Matt Turner's full match verdict below

THE fact one goal can change the complexion of an entire season is the beauty of football at this time of the season.

Before Matty Clarke took aim from range for Workington, Warrington Rylands were in full control of their destiny with a couple of fingertips on the NPL West Division title.

A couple of seconds later, however, they were reliant on help from others.

Warrington Guardian:

Rylands goalkeeper Graeme McCall is powerless to stop the equalising goal from Workington's Matty Clarke (number three). Picture by John Hopkins

This was far from the worst result Blues could have had and they are still alive in a title race they had no real right to be in two months ago, but it was far from the best either.

They will need a favour from Marine, who host Workington on Easter Saturday and given Blues’ vastly superior goal difference, the Cumbrians will effectively need to win on Merseyside to retain control.

Perhaps any frustration in the Rylands camp will stem from the fact they had so many chances to put the game to bed in the second half.

Warrington Guardian:

The ball is poked away from Scott Bakkor as he was about to tap into an empty net - one of several second-half chances that went begging for Blues. Picture by John Hopkins

Had even one of them had been taken, they would without doubt have been returning south with three points.

When they went astray, however, they were vulnerable to the sucker punch and it duly came.

Workington struggled to open their visitors up throughout the game, with goalkeeper Graeme McCall only called into serious action once.

With Rick Smith and Sam Egerton imperious in defence, Rylands repelled pretty much everything thrown at them by the hosts’ direct approach.

Warrington Guardian:

Sam Egerton challenges for a header. Picture by John Hopkins

No blame can be attached to them or McCall for the goal that beat them – a truly superb long-range strike from Clarke that flew into the top corner.

They will now be forced to watch as their rivals slug it out next weekend but what cannot be allowed to happen is for this result to drain their confidence.

There is still time aplenty for twists and turns.