WARRINGTON Rylands picked up another impressive victory this evening, ending Workington's unbeaten league record in the process.

Two goals within three second-half minutes proved decisive, with Owen Robinson and Kane Drummond on target for Dave McNabb's side.

The impressive Robinson turned home Callum Dolan's cross to open the scoring before Drummond rounded the goalkeeper and tapped into the empty net after latching onto Declan Walker's precision pass.

Warrington Guardian:

Kane Drummond slides home Rylands' second goal. Picture by Mark Percy

Steven Rigg pulled a goal back for the Northern Premier League West Division leaders, bundling home a Conor Gaul cross to set up a nervy last 20 minutes.

However, Blues held on to move up to third in the table.

Listen to post-match reaction from Blues boss Dave McNabb below

Check out sports reporter Matt Turner's verdict on the game below

THIS was quite a statement for Warrington Rylands to make.

By becoming the first side to consign Workington to a league defeat this season, they have made it clear – if it was not already – that they are to be taken seriously as promotion contenders.

And on balance, this 2-1 victory was a deserved one.

Warrington Guardian:

The celebrations that followed Owen Robinson's opener. Picture by John Hopkins

While not always showing the composure required at the top end of the pitch, there seemed a greater cut and thrust about Blues.

Credit has to be given to both sides for trying to stick to a possession-based game in truly wretched conditions at Gorsey Lane.

Warrington Guardian:

Kane Drummound goes shoulder-to-shoulder with a Workington defender. Picture by Mark Percy

While rarely threatening Graeme McCall’s goal, there seemed to be a quiet confidence about Workington and it looked like there were more gears for them to find should they need it.

However, they never really put their foot on the throttle until they really needed to and at that point, they were met by an astute and organised Rylands defence.

There were hearts in mouths when Conor Tinnion’s superb effort crashed off the crossbar, but it would have been incredibly harsh on the hosts had it dropped into the top corner to allow their visitors to return north with a point.

For it was them who had carved out the clearer opportunities, even before their quickfire double strike just after the hour mark.

Owen Robinson merited the goal he scored as the game’s standout player – the visitors struggled to pick him up in the “number 10” position as he, Matty Hughes and Kane Drummond used their greater mobility to stretch the defence.

When Hughes succumbed to a shoulder injury at half time, Callum Dolan took his place and delivered a livewire performance in setting up Robinson’s opener.

Warrington Guardian:

Callum Dolan put in an impressive display off the bench. Picture by Mark Percy

Drummond had missed a glorious chance in the first half but when Declan Walker put him through again, he showed impressive composure to finish this time.

Although there was a sloppiness to the way in which Steven Rigg was allowed to cut the deficit and set up a nervy final 20 minutes, Blues can reflect on a good evening’s work.

Warrington Guardian:

Kane Drummond celebrates the second goal. Picture by John Hopkins