WARRINGTON Rylands were highly impressive victors on the road on Saturday afternoon.

Bouncing back from last week's home defeat to Marine, they conquered a Mossley side who topped the Northern Premier League West Division table at the start of play

Joe Coveney's penalty gave Blues a lead that was then doubled by Owen Robinson just shy of the half-hour mark.

Charlie Doyle then added a third goal as the match neared its end to wrap up a comfortable win for Dave McNabb's side.

Check out the post-match thoughts of Blues manager Dave McNabb below

The full match verdict of Garry Clarke can be found below


AFTER a run of two games without a win, Warrington Rylands laid down a marker to the rest of the division by returning to winning ways at league leaders Mossley.

Mossley, who had gone top of the table in midweek, started brightly but were soon on the back foot as Rylands – playing downhill at a wet and windy Seel Park – quickly gained control.

Owen Robinson fired a shot just wide of the Mossley goal in the 12th minute before Kane Drummond had a goal disallowed two minutes later, being ruled offside when he ran onto a Matty Hughes pass.

Joe Coveney opened the scoring in the 20th minute, converting from the penalty spot after Declan Evans had clipped Drummond’s heels.

Mossley tried to hit back, with Harry Pratt drawing a good save from Rylands goalkeeper Graeme McCall in the 22nd minute and eight minutes later, the same player was inches off target with a shot from outside the area.

Rylands doubled their advantage in the 32nd minute – Mossley only half cleared a corner, allowing Robinson to collect the ball, jink his way past a couple of defenders and curl the ball into the far corner of the net.

A couple of minutes later, Mossley goalkeeper Dale Latham clawed away an inswinging free kick from underneath his crossbar.

He followed that up by palming a Rick Smith header over the bar and on the stroke of half time, he tipped a Hughes shot over.

In the first minute of the second half, Mossley captain Andy Keogh met a corner at the near post with his head to guide the ball into the back of the Rylands net.

However, the match officials ruled from the corner kick the ball had gone out of play before arcing back into the field and disallowed the goal.

Mossley – determined not to surrender top spot – dominated the second half, committing more men to their attack as they searched for a way back into the game while Rylands worked hard to keep them out with desperate defenders throwing their bodies in the way of goal bound shots.

Levi Phillips fired a shot across the face of Rylands’ goal, Anthony Brown had a shot cleared off the line in a goalmouth scramble, Pratt hooked a shot over the bar and McCall pulled off several good stops as the red line held firm.

With Mossley pushing more and more players forward, gaps were being left at the back for Rylands to exploit on the break.

Drummond and Robinson combined on the hour mark to set up the latter, whose shot was well saved by Latham.

Catching Mossley on the break, Rylands made the game safe in the 79th minute.

Charlie Doyle fed Elliott Morris, who raced clear of the trailing white-shirted defenders. Latham pulled off a fine save to keep out Morris’s shot but could only parry the ball into the path of Doyle, who fired it into an empty net.