It was another busy weekend for our amateur rugby league clubs with the season now in full swing.

Here is what happened on Saturday...


SOAP are up and running for the new season with a victory head coach Ian Boden says they deserved.

However, with two tries disallowed, could the 10-8 win have been achieved with a wider margin?

Matty Pitt’s second-half score coupled with Jack Reid’s conversion proved decisive in a game where defences ruled the roost.

Luke Walker – back in the side having featured for Warrington Wolves Reserves last weekend – grabbed Soap’s other try as they bounced back from an opening-day loss at Bradford Dudley Hill.

"I think we deserved the win,” Boden said.

“We had two disallowed tries, the first of which I thought was good.

“Our lads shown their experience and got on with the task and managed the game very well.

“Our defending was excellent today against a big side and Jack Reid deserved his man of the match.

“There was so much relief getting some players back.”

After Soap had an early score ruled out for a forward pass, the St Helens-based hosts took the lead when Tommy Taylor crossed out wide.

However, Walker got the visitors back on level terms when he broke through to score in the corner himself.

Winger Luke Leyden put Clock back into the lead shortly after the restart for the second half, but that lead lasted just six minutes.

Substitute Pitt crossed between the posts, allowing Reid an easy conversion that turned out to be pivotal.

There was a big scare for Soap when Clock’s Luke Forber chased his own kick and looked as if he had touched it down for a try, but the referee ruled the ball had reached the dead ball line and Boden’s men survived.

Warrington Guardian:

Action from Crosfields' win over Clock Face Miners. Picture by Dominic Caswell


For Mal Holt and his Woolston Rovers side, Saturday was a familiar tale.

Errors and profligacy stifled their play in what was their first home game since promotion to National Conference League Division Two.

As such, they fell to a 26-18 defeat to Wakefield-based Normanton Knights, who at one point had only 11 men on the field.

A mass brawl saw Rovers centre Justin Becker, who was playing his final game for the club before returning to Australia, dismissed alongside the Knights’ Ash Haynes while visiting second rower Ryan Kelsey was sin-binned.

Kelsey was later red-carded but despite an extended period playing with a one-man advantage, Woolston could not make their chances pay.

It is now two defeats from as many matches for the Green and Golds, leaving Holt frustrated.

“It was the same story as last week – we made far too many errors and gave them too many easy yards,” he said.

“We were always in the game but didn't finish off our chances when we had them.

“But credit to Normanton as their goal line defence was fantastic, especially when they were down to eleven men.

“We are not that far off so no cause for any alarm. I’m sure we will be fine once we get into our rhythm.”

Conner Muir crossed to open the scoring for Woolston before Connor Taylor’s try levelled matters in the early exchanges.

Aaron Barber then dummied his way to the line before the brawl that left both sides at least a man down.

Despite being down to 11, it was Normanton to score next through Daniel Barker and while Josh Sudlow crashed over for Rovers shortly after, Barker raced home from 60 metres to give his side a half-time lead.

Liam Taylor then extended the Knights’ advantage before Kelsey saw red, with Karlton Bates taking advantage of the extra space by stepping back inside from the left to score.

That was as good as it got for Woolston, however, as Connor Wilson’s score completed victory for the Yorkshiremen.

Woolston: Conner Muir; Wil Maudsley, Justin Becker, Karlton Bates, Craig Middlemore; Aaron Barber, Ryan Brown; Sam Roberts, Adam Files, Ryan Hickman, Harry Files, Dan Fearnley, Kieran Moore. Subs: Tom Byrne, Josh Sudlow, Dan Griffiths, Ben Moore


LATCHFORD Albion were awarded victory without kicking a ball in Division One on Saturday.

As scheduled opponents Oldham St Annes A could not raise a team, Albion were awarded a 24-0 walkover win.

The game was meant to be Latchford’s first at Victoria Park this season and mark the start of their 75th anniversary celebrations.

They did, however, reveal their special playing kit made to mark the anniversary.

Warrington Guardian:

Latchford Albion skipper Danny Brown and Chris Hodkinson from club sponsors HC Promotions with the club's 75th anniversary playing kit

Meanwhile, Matt Lowe hailed “a really clinical display” from his Woolston Rovers A side as they thrashed Leigh East A to keep up their winning start in Division Three.

Rovers A were 40-18 victors at Leigh Sports Village as they stretched away in the final quarter to record a comfortable win.

“That was a really clinical display,” Lowe said.

“We were really on our game from the outset and never let Leigh East settle.

“Our determination in defence was exceptional and when we had the ball in hand, we were patient and that enabled us to score some very good tries.

“We have hit the ground running but we now need to keep the momentum going in our forthcoming games.”

Elsewhere in Division Three, Culcheth Eagles and Crosfields A both slipped to home defeats.

Culcheth lost 28-0 by Wigan Bulldogs while Soap A were beaten 28-14 by Cadishead Rhinos.