IN some ways, Yellows have to be thankful to take a point from this game.

Until Josh Amis coolly lobbed the goalkeeper in the 93rd minute, it looked as though two quickfire Stafford Rangers goals had completely knocked the stuffing out of them.

A side that have won just twice all season and are marooned at the foot of the table looked like exposing shortcomings that have been all too familiar.

> 'Shocking' second-half display and disallowed goal 'a disgrace' - Carden's view on Yellows' draw at Stafford

Heart can be taken in that they dug deep to rescue themselves and spare them a damaging loss, plus they appear to have left with no new injuries from a game played on a horrendous surface.

However, it was another position they never should have found themselves in. At the moment, they are too easy to rattle.

Bohan Dixon’s penalty miss in the first half ended up being incredibly costly – a tame effort off a two-step run-up was easily stopped and the chance to cap a positive first half was spurned.

Warrington Guardian:

Josh Amis returned from injury to score Yellows' equaliser. Picture by John Hopkins

Pace out wide was – and always has been – a key outlet for Town and they managed to get Jack Mackreth in behind the experienced Matt Hill on various occasions.

From both flanks, though, the final ball was lacking and Stafford were able to clear their lines.

The home side gave off the air of a desperate team, scrapping for their lives on a pitch suited to that kind of football.

Direct was the way to go and given their obvious size advantage, they had the edge in that respect.

Still, their only chance came by way of a Yellows mistake. They were not causing too much in the way of alarm.

That is not to say on-the-floor football was completely impossible, as proven by Dylan Vassallo’s excellent run and slide-rule pass to set up Tony Gray’s goal.

Now the big test came – could they survive a Stafford shelling? The answer was a pretty emphatic no.

At a time where cool heads were needed, Yellows’ defending was panicked and basic errors were made.

The equaliser when it came from Jake Charles, who changed the game for Stafford when he came on, was not entirely surprising but given the nature of how Bradley Grayson was allowed space to nod home and turn the game on its head, it truly shellshocked the visitors.

Things got desperate but that only served to play into Stafford’s hands.

Until Amis came off the bench to rescue them, they did not really look like scoring save for a Mark Roberts effort ruled out for the most marginal of offsides.

That was one of several decisions made by the officiating team that angered both sides – referee Oliver Noonan was certainly not the most popular man in the locality by full time.

While he may have awarded Town a penalty, he missed at least one other blatant spot-kick and his constant whistling for niggling fouls set the tone for a frustrating afternoon.

The draw count has now crept into double figures and while this one will be welcomed more than the ones that have plagued them of late, there is clearly something amiss when it comes to seeing games out.