PAUL Carden says Warrington Town’s Evo-Stik Premier Division play-off final victory at South Shields as his biggest in management.

Josh Amis’ late winner completed Yellows’ comeback after they trailed at half-time at Mariners Park to take them to within one victory of a place in the National League North.

Dylan Vassallo had earlier cancelled out an opener from Shields’ Josh Gillies as Yellows set up a date with either King’s Lynn Town or Alvechurch at Cantilever Park.

Warrington Guardian:

The celebrations that followed Josh Amis' winning goal. Picture by John Hopkins

"What a feeling - the lads have been unbelievable again,” Carden said.

"This is my biggest win as a manager - I've never managed in a game as big as this.

"I thought we deserved it. We started really well and they score through a great finish - we spoke about trying to stop Gillies cutting inside and we didn't.

"We wobbled for 10 minutes after that. We couldn't get hold of the ball.

"We changed our shape and matched them up to a degree and we started to get a foothold again.

"We came out and took it to them in the second half. We were on the front foot and spent a lot of time in their half.

"The first goal is a great goal - nice move down the right and Dylan comes up with a great finish.

"I didn't see the second goal! I just saw the net bulge.”

> How Yellows solved the South Shields conundrum again

Much like their semi-final win over Nantwich Town on Tuesday evening, Carden’s side had a promising first half only to fall behind to a wonderful goal as Gillies fired a curling effort beyond Tony McMillan.

Despite falling behind, Carden says he did not need to do much to alter the course of the game.

“We just needed to be patient,” he said.

“We changed our shape a little bit – they play the diamond, they had their forwards wide in between our full-backs and centre-halves and it causes problems.

“We matched that up and once we got an understanding of that, we got a grip of the game.

“I don’t think we allowed them to do what they like to do.

“There were very few times they played it out from the back which is what they like to do.”

> A look back on the match as it happened

One minor black mark on Yellows’ day was an injury to Jack Dunn, who was substituted in the first half.

However, Carden is hopeful the problem will not keep him out of Saturday’s ‘super play-off.’

“Jack felt a little something in his stomach,” he said.

“We’re hoping it’s not serious but we’ll get him looked at this week and go from there.

“I think he’ll be okay.”

King’s Lynn and Alvechurch – who beat Stratford Town and Stourbridge respectively in the Southern League Central semi-finals – face off on Monday for the right to take on Yellows on Saturday.

There will be at least one more interested spectator.

“We’ll be going down to watch,” Carden said.

“It’s back near my old stomping grounds – Cambridge and Peterborough.

“We’ll do as much as we can to be as prepared as possible.”

Town were backed by around 200 supporters at Mariners Park and the players enjoyed plenty of celebrations with them at the final whistle.

Warrington Guardian:

Yellows players and staff celebrate with their supporters. Picture by John Hopkins

Carden hopes the team have captured the imaginations of several of their young followers.

“When I saw the bus and the young lads out in force along with the diehards, it was brilliant,” he said.

“I like to think we’ve captured a good core of those youngsters.

“They’re making songs up, recording things and getting things going. You could only hear them and that’s what they need.

“Hopefully they can grow with us and come on this journey with us.”