TEDDY Bullen's name lives on at Bury FC, despite his 188 appearances for the club coming more than 100 years ago.

A plaque and photograph adorn the boardroom wall at Gigg Lane, acclaiming his service not only for the Shakers but his country too during the First World War.

On Remembrance weekend, in particular, all involved at Bury honour the memory of Gunner Edward Bullen.

For Ted, as he was known to his family, remains the club's only footballer to have been killed in action during conflict.

He was a keenly regarded wing-half – described as a high quality, unfussy, hard-working player - in a decent Bury side that was playing top-flight football in the years leading up to his war service.

Such was the respect he held at Bury, he went on to be captain for a couple of seasons.

Warrington Guardian:

The plaque in Bury FC's boardroom in honour of Teddy Bullen

It was no surprise to Warrington Guardian sports writers of the time that Ted, reported to have been born in Prescot in 1884 and educated at St Barnabas’ School in Warrington, made the grade in the First Division.

"Bury was the lucky club to secure the aid of one of the best half-backs who ever donned a jersey," wrote one reporter in a tribute following the confirmation of Ted's death, aged 33, on the front line at Vaulx-Vraucourt, south east of Arras, in France on August 11, 1917.

"The happiest days of Teddy's life were spent with the East Lancashire club."

By the time he enlisted in the Royal Field Artillery in August, 1916, he had been licensee of the Rose Inn, Hood Lane, Great Sankey, for 10 months and had continued his playing career in the Lancashire Combination with Warrington Town, a team which has no links to the current club of the same name.

But during his period of training in The Army he took the opportunity to represent his former club again in wartime fixtures when home on leave, playing in a game against Liverpool as late as February, 1917.

It was a month later that the member of Sankey Cricket Club was drafted to the front.

He had married Bertha Oxley in 1915 and the Bury FC website records the fact his wife was pregnant when Ted went off to war. Tragically, he never got to meet his daughter Marjorie.

Warrington Guardian:

His footballing career started to take shape at Altrincham FC, featuring for the reserves as a teenager in the Manchester Federation League during the 1903-04 campaign.

In the Robins' Review magazine, joint editor Terry Rowley highlighted how Ted was unable to turn out for the club in the following season due to weekend work commitments in Warrington.

But he made regular appearances for Altrincham's first team in the 1905-06 Manchester League season, soon drawing 'glowing reviews for his tackling and passing on the left side of the Altrincham midfield' says Rowley.

Ted's performances attracted the attentions of a Bury scout and after extended trials at Gigg Lane he was signed full-time in readiness for the 1906-07 season.

He arrived too late for Bury's FA Cup wins in 1900 and 1903 but enjoyed top-flight action in a rebuilt side for five seasons before it was relegated in 1911-12.

Before the outbreak of war, he scored 18 goals in 188 matches over nine seasons for the Shakers - adding to the 33 appearances for Altrincham and 21 matches he played in war-time fixtures.

Although injuries interrupted several of his seasons with Bury, records show in three of his seasons he got on the field more than 30 times.

The memorial on the boardroom wall at Gigg Lane reads: "A playing member of this club who fell in action at Vaux on the 11th day of August 1917. Loyal to this Club, loyal to his Country. He died playing the greater game."