Whitby Town 0 Warrington Town 1

WARRINGTON Town’s extraordinary league run continued as they beat Whitby Town to extend their clean sheet record.

Paul Carden’s men have now gone 14 hours 45 mins since they last conceded a league goal, keeping nine consecutive clean sheets.

They were made to work hard for this one though and pinched victory when substitute Jack Mackreth tapped in 10 minutes from time.

Always a tricky place to go, particularly on a Tuesday night, Yellows started scrappily and had Mitch Duggan and Dave Raven in the referee’s notebook inside the first 10 minutes, the latter for a foul on the tricky Dale Hopson on the edge of the box.

From that set piece, Hopson drew the first save out of Tony McMillan, who got down well to his left to push away the free-kick.

Dominic Reid was handed his Warrington debut and he had a few nice moments in the first half and on the other flank, Jake Kirby was also getting some change out of his marker though neither were able to carve a clear-cut opening.

A couple of half-chances fell harmlessly wide for the hosts, before Jimmy Beadle hit one out of the ground and smashed the window of a house behind the goal.

Warrington were perhaps relieved to hear the half-time whistle after some sustained pressure and that continued at the start of the second half, with Raven having to head over his own cross bar to deny Andy Monkhouse before McMillan was out quick to smother a Matthew Tymon chance.

The introduction of Mackreth created an immediate opening as his deflected cross was headed at the keeper by Josh Amis, but Whitby were having a bit more of the play, and their pacey right-back Kieran Weledji drilled a shot that McMillan held well.

But it would be Yellows who would go closest, Amis knocking the ball down for Kirby, who struck against the post.

As the game went more end-to-end in the final quarter, Yellows were finding more pockets of space and they had a bit of success down the left before dealing the decisive blow on 80 minutes.

Dylan Vassallo carried the ball over halfway and played it through to Adam Hughes on his outside. His low ball in to the box evaded both Amis and Tony Gray, with Mackreth waiting at the back post to sweep home.

Raven was superb at the heart of the Yellows defence – Town are yet to concede a goal in the league with him in the team – and they managed to see it out and take the three points home.

Warrington Town: McMillan, Duggan, Hughes, Garrity, Roberts, Raven, Kirby (Gray), Evans, Amis, Dixon (Mackreth), Reid (Vassallo). Subs not used: A Carden, George.

Report by James Gordon