AS SWEET as it was to win at Wigan with Ben Currie’s decisive try, frustration is the overriding emotion upon reflection.

After all, if The Wire had defended for the majority of the season like they had done at the DW Stadium on Thursday they would not be in the mess they are encountering now.

Instead of facing clashes against the likes of Featherstone Rovers and London Broncos in the Middle 8s, The Wire could possibly have been gearing up for a title charge and a Challenge Cup Final place.

The aggression and desire to not only pin their opponents in their own half but to also dominate physically, as they did at Wigan, has been missing for the vast majority of the year.

And with such commitment being combined with an all-too-rare decent kicking game there were long periods where The Wire had Wigan rattled and looking vulnerable.

In these circumstances Wolves might feel a little disappointed not to have racked up more points, especially with having left themselves open to Wigan potentially snatching a share of the spoils, as they did in the Super League clash in the Magic Weekend encounter in Newcastle.

Wigan got close but Joe Burgess, who got the try at St James’ Park that led to weeks of head-dropping from Warrington players, on this occasion was unable to take in George Williams’ pass by the corner post as the cover got ready to clatter him.

That was the last play of the game and a number of Wire troops threw their arms in the air as the hooter sounded while fans jumped around like crazy in the stand.

No matter the circumstances, it was clear how much a victory at Wigan meant.

The manner in which the game was clinched helped to give everyone connected with the club a huge lift.

Ten months after his last game, also against Wigan, England squadman Currie marked his comeback from a major knee injury with a convincing 50-minute display off the bench that was topped off with a try that gave The Wire a lead they never lost.

He touched down Dec Patton’s perfect grubber kick in the 57th minute in front of the bank of Wire supporters and roared his approval before being swamped by his teammates.

It’s good to have him back, it’s good to have the true Wire back.


. Wire’s first win in six meetings with Wigan

. Only Wolves’ second away win of 2017


Super League Round 22, Thursday, July 13, 2017

Wigan Warriors 10 Warrington Wolves 16

Warriors: Sam Tomkins; Liam Marshall, Anthony Gelling, Oliver Gildart, Joe Burgess; George Williams, Thomas Leuluai; Frank-Paul Nuuausala, Michael McIlorum, Ryan Sutton, Willie Isa, John Bateman, Sean O'Loughlin. Subs: Tony Clubb, Sam Powell, Taulima Tautai, Jack Wells.

Wolves: Stefan Ratchford; Peta Hiku, Ben Pomeroy, Ryan Atkins, Tom Lineham; Dec Patton, Kurt Gidley; Chris Hill, Daryl Clark, Ashton Sims, Benjamin Jullien, Jack Hughes, Mike Cooper. Subs: Ben Currie, Andre Savelio, Joe Philbin, Morgan Smith.

Scoring: Gildart try, 1min, 0-4; Jullien try, 14mins, 4-4; Bateman try, Williams goal, 10-4; Atkins try, 39mins, 10-8; Currie try, 57mins, 10-12; Ratchford penalty, 60mins, 10-14; Ratchford penalty, 77mins, 10-16.

Penalties: Warriors 10 Wolves 12

Referee: James Child

Attendance: 12,790

Guardian man of the match: Hill