A DAD-of-two died as a result of serious chemical burns that he suffered at work four years earlier, an inquest has concluded.

Graham Faulkner, from Warrington, was working for Industrial Chemicals Limited when he came into contact with a liquid containing caustic soda, which caused burns to his feet.

The safety permit that the 64-year-old had been given by his employer did not state that he should wear rubber safety boots, and he was actually wearing standard safety ones.

Shortly afterwards, Graham developed flu-like symptoms and was admitted to hospital, where he was diagnosed with sepsis linked to the burns.

After developing complications, Graham was left quadriplegic with ongoing respiratory problems, and he spent 18 months in hospital.

Once discharged, he suffered with ongoing respiratory symptoms for the next four years and was frequently admitted to hospital before he died in Warrington Hospital on March 1, 2019.

An inquest into Graham's death at Warrington Coroner's Court concluded he died from pneumonia with respiratory failure, arising from the chemical burns.

Graham's wife Valerie, 66, said: "Before his injury, Graham was never really one to complain about feeling ill.

"So when he asked me to make him a GP appointment, I knew something wasn't right, but not for one minute did I ever expect his condition to deteriorate as it did.

"The last years of Graham's life were very tough on him. He lost all of his independence and had to be cared for, which he struggled to accept.

"It was also awful for us to have to watch him get worse and know that we couldn't do anything to help."

Coroner Elizabeth Wheeler will issue a prevention of future deaths report calling on the Health and Safety Executive to set out what measure it would take to prevent future deaths.

This comes after the inquest was told that when police tried to investigate Graham's death, there was insufficient evidence.

Graham Faulkner with his dogs. Pictures: SWNS

Graham Faulkner with his dogs. Pictures: SWNS

Valerie, also of Warrington, says that even though she is 'relieved' the coroner listened to her concerns, she knows it won't bring Graham back.

She said: "I would give anything to have Graham back so he could see his granddaughter grow up and for us to carry on with the rest of our lives, enjoying the plans we made.

"It devastates me that it is no longer possible, and that is down to his workplace.

"Grieving for him has been made worse by the time that it has taken for us to get any answers over what happened to him.

"I am relieved that we finally have these now, and that the coroner has listened to our concerns and is making sure that improvements are made to prevent this from happening to anyone else.

"Sadly, however, this will not bring Graham back, and I do not think I will ever come to terms with that."

Following Graham's death, Valerie instructed Harriet Trail, a specialist accident lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, to investigate and help her obtain answers.

She said: "Understandably, coming to terms with losing Graham in the way that they did continues to be incredibly difficult for his family, in particular for Valerie.

"Graham's loved ones have spent the last five years having many questions regarding his death, and the last nine years with questions about how he was injured.

"While nothing will make up for their suffering, we are pleased to have at least been able to provide them with the answers they deserve.

"Sadly, the inquest has identified issues in the working conditions Graham faced.

"Health and safety needs to be the fundamental priority in all workplaces, and it is now vital that lessons are learned to help prevent others from going through what Graham did."