POLICE have raided another cannabis farm in Warrington town centre.

It is the second property found to be housing an illegal grow within weeks – and in a building just metres away.

A large police presence of around a dozen cars was reported on Barbauld Street this morning, Tuesday.

A police tape cordon was in place to the shop front of the building in question on Bridge Street.

Officers say this came after reports of two cannabis plants outside.

Checks were conducted of CCTV in the area, which led officers to believe the plants were part of a larger quantity that had been dropped while being moved.

Police at the scene in the town centre

Police at the scene in the town centre

A search of the building revealed the presence of a ‘considerable’ number of cannabis plants as part of a grow of the controlled class B drug.

No arrests have been made as of yet in connection with the find.

A spokesman for Cheshire Police said: “At around 6.30am today, Tuesday, April 2, police received reports that a number of cannabis plants had been found discarded in an alleyway off Bridge Street, Warrington.

“On attendance, officers located the plants and discovered a further considerable number of cannabis plants at a nearby property.

“Officers have worked throughout the day to clear plants and subsequently arrange for their destruction.

Police at the scene in the town centre

Police at the scene in the town centre

“Enquiries are ongoing and anyone with any information is asked to call Cheshire Police on 101 quoting IML 1791011."

Information can also be passed by visiting cheshire.police.uk or anonymously to Crimestoppers by calling 0800 555 111 or visiting crimestoppers.org.uk

It comes just weeks after another cannabis farm was found inside a closed bar on Barbauld Street.

On March 19, police raided the property and recovered 720 cannabis plants, and although the force helicopter was scrambled to track a suspect spotted fleeing the address, no arrests were made.

However, nine people were later arrested trying to enter the premises, leading officers to warn against doing so and confirming that all plants and equipment had been removed.