HAVE you ever walked through Warrington and wondered about the street names?

Many are obvious nods to local areas such as Sankey Street, Padgate Lane or Manchester Road.

But what of some of the others?

Winmarleigh Street, Horsemarket Street and even Egypt Street?

With thanks to our archives, Warrington Museum and Harry Wells, we take a look at some of the origins of Warrington's best known streets.


Warrington Guardian:

Arguably Warrington's most famous street, most of the current buildings date back to the 19th century.

But the road was not originally called Bridge Street. It was renamed in 1580 due to a crossing over the Mersey.

Before that, it was known as Newgate Street and was lined with narrow houses.


Warrington Guardian:

At the top of Bridge Street is Market Gate, with its linking streets of Buttermarket Street and Horsemarket Street.

While markets were always needed, they started to thrive in the late 1200s.

On market and fair days when large numbers of people poured into the town, violent disputes could easily erupt and the presence of large sums of money changing hands attracted organized crime. 

Cattle and horse markets were held on Horsemarket Street until the early 20th century.

Dairy produce was sold on Buttermarket Street.

The roads were widened to accomodate traffic in the 20th century before they were largely pedestrianised towards the end of the 20th century.


Warrington Guardian:

The three roads close to Cairo Street church all share a similar origin.

The Egyptian names were given in the 1840s in a nod to the South Lancashire Regiment's campaigns in the north African country against Napoleon.

It also saw the chapel renamed.

The Cairo Street Chapel was known as Sankey Street Chapel until 1846.


Why have one street named after you when you could gave two?

Winmarleigh Street connects Sankey Street and Warrington Town Hall with Wilson Patten Street which runs from Bank Quay station to Bridge Foot.

Warrington Guardian:

Wilson Patten Street

They are named after Colonel John Wilson Patten, who became Lord Winmarleigh.

Also a Conservative politician, he died aged 90 in 1892.


Warrington Guardian:

This part of town was once home to the Warrington Friary, hence the name.

It was set up in the mid 13th century and is a sign that Warrington was becoming a thriving and prosperous town.

Many excavations have been carried out, more recently by experts from Lancaster University. And some of the remains of the Friary can be seen on the ground floor of the Friar Penketh Wetherspoon pub.

Friar Penketh was a 15th cenuty knight and his diaries tell the story of the Friary.


Warrington Guardian:

This famous road in Bewsey was named because of a former hall.

The site of Frog Hall gave the street its name, conjuring up images of The Wind in the Willows and something akin to Toad Hall.

The building was situated just past the railway bridge close to the embankment on the south side of the lane. Formerly surrounded by open fields, it was removed when the Cheshire Lines railway was constructed.