A WARRINGTON man has been left with ‘permanent injuries’ from a collision, with the driver responsible walking free from court.

Kyle Best, 21, appeared at Chester Crown Court last week to be sentenced for causing serious injury by careless driving.

Prosecuting Best, Jane Morris told the court how, at roughly 3.25pm on June 22 of last year, Best was driving in Frodsham.

The 21-year-old, of Ivy Road in Woolston, turned suddenly at a junction without due care – hitting a motorcyclist with his car.

The motorcyclist in question, Lee Harrison, appeared in court for the sentencing. Mr Harrison was left with severe injuries as a result of the collision.

Rushed to hospital, the 52-year-old suffered a broken pelvis, a broken leg, a badly dislocated shoulder which took multiple surgeries by specialists to fix, a bleed to his brain, and blood clots in his lungs.

Best and his passenger were both uninjured in the crash.

Standing up in court to issue his victim personal statement (VPS), Mr Harrison told the court of the physical and mental effects of this incident which ‘changed his life forever’.

The victim described how he was unable to look after himself following his injuries from incident, putting a strain on his home life due to him also therefore being incapable of helping look after his disabled child.

Mr Harrison was a long-term motorcyclist, and stated in his VPS that he doesn’t know if he’ll feel comfortable riding one ever again.

He is currently unable to drive whatsoever, which has had a major effect on his work life.

Harrison finished his VPS by saying: “I will never be the same.”

Following the incident, witnesses described how Best appeared more concerned about his car, which was written off from the crash, than for the victim.

Defending Best, Mark Ford KC stated that this was due to shock, and a pre-sentence report demonstrated his ‘genuine remorse’ for the incident.

Mr Ford also pointed to Best’s lack of previous criminal record and ‘immaturity’ as mitigating factors.

He went on to say this was a ‘momentary lapse of attention’.

Presiding, Judge Simon Berkson described the incident, stating how Mr Harrison had been driving home to Warrington.

The incident took place at a junction between Red Lane and Church Road in Frodsham, with Best turning off the road. At this point, he carelessly hit Mr Harrison, sending him flying over the hood of another car.

Judge Berkson acknowledged Best’s ‘genuine remorse’ but stated that the injuries Best caused were ‘serious’.

Judge Berkson ultimately decided the offence had crossed then custody threshold but could be suspended. Best was given a six-month sentence, suspended for 18 months, and was disqualified for 18 months from driving.

Lee Harrison said in response to the statement: “I am happy that the case has come to a conclusion and that he has been held to account by the criminal prosecution service. 

“It would have been nice for him to apologise for what he did. 

“My ongoing injuries do cause me day to day pain and difficulties. I have pain in my pelvis, ankle and worst my shoulder which suffered a terrible triad injury.

“I am working hard with physios and surgeons to improve my quality of life, however it is likely I will have some permanent disability from the accident.”