TWO relics from Warrington’s past feature in the same picture in this week’s Looking Back.

This picture, taken by Peter Spilsbury, shows a class 47 train heading towards the old Latchford station.

And it also takes in the former Cantilever Garden Centre which was housed off Station Road.

The first station at Latchford was called Latchford and Grappenhall Road and opened in 1853. It was renamed Latchford in June 1854 but it closed in 1893 when a new alignment was opened in connection with the construction of the Manchester Ship Canal.

A new Latchford station was opened nearby, parallel with the canal. It took passengers between Manchester and Liverpool.

This closed to passengers on September 10, 1962.

It then closed completely in 1965.

The Cantilever Garden Centre closed in the 1990s and was demolished.

It is now home to the Cantilever Gardens apartments.