FIREFIGHTERS have been called to two garden fires this afternoon, Saturday, one of which was caused by a discarded cigarette which spread to a house.

Just after 10.30am, two fire crews – from Warrington and Birchwood Fire Stations – were called to Lintott Gardens.

They found a fire which was affecting a garden and kitchen of a house, believed to have been started by a discarded cigarette.

One person was treated for smoke inhalation.

A spokesperson for Cheshire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed: “Wearing breathing apparatus, crews quickly deployed a hose reel water jet to extinguish the fire and a large specialist fan to clear smoke.

“One person was treated at the scene by ambulance crews for the effects of smoke inhalation.

“The fire is believed to have been caused by a discarded cigarette in the garden.”

That was the second call of the day for the Warrington Fire Station crew.

They had previously been called just before 9.50am to Parkgate Road where two wheelie bins and a fence panel had caught fire as a result of hot materials being accidentally disposed of.

Firefighters used a hose reel water jet to extinguish the fire.

A spokesperson added: “Caution is advised during the hot weather when disposing barbecue coals or embers from firepits.”