ALL rental properties in Warrington are being offered free protection against carbon monoxide poisoning.

Aquila Heating and Plumbing have offered to install free gas detectors in every rental property in Warrington which it visits between now and the new year.

The company is offering free installation of carbon monoxide detectors to rentals in Warrington between now and the new year.

This is in reaction to new legislation that requires landlords to ensure that - as of this month - there is a smoke detector on each floor of their property, plus a carbon monoxide detector in any location with an appliance such as a boiler or gas heater.

Failure to comply with this can mean a fine of up to £5,000.

According to the Office for National Statistics, 41 people died accidentally from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Managing director of Aquila, Jon Matthews, said carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the most 'silent killers.'

Jon said: "Landlords will have to start caring.

"Myself and my team have witnessed engineers write a gas safety certificate without even leaving their van.

"When the stakes for tenants are so high, it is shocking that landlords have continued to be so dismissive of gas safety.

"We are hopeful that this new legislation will go some way to improving that.”

Aquila Heating and Plumbing have also frozen the cost of all boiler services that they provide, in an attempt to help consumers during this difficult period.