TWO teenagers have been charged with assault after a pensioner was kicked into the Mersey.

Benjamin Bridgeman handed himself in at a police station yesterday, Wednesday, in connection with the shocking incident near to Riverside Retail Park on Sunday.

And the 18-year-old, of Quebec Road in Orford, has since been charged with one count of assault.

A 15-year-old boy - who cannot be named for legal reasons - has also now been charged with assault over the attack, Cheshire Police have confirmed this afternoon, Thursday.

He too handed himself in at a police station this morning.

Both defendants have been released on bail ahead of an appearance at Warrington Magistrates' Court next month.

Meanwhile, the force confirmed that no further action will be taken against another 15-year-old boy who was arrested on suspicion of assault yesterday – although he remains under investigation on suspicion of possession of cannabis with intent to supply.

The 74-year-old victim was stood on the banks of the river on Wharf Street and was believed to be magnet fishing when he was accosted at around 2.30pm on April 25.

A video of the assault showed one assailant approaching him from behind before delivering a sickening fly-kick which knocked the man into the water.

Warrington Guardian:

He was pulled to safety by two teenage girls and suffered a cut to his face after banging his head during the fall.

After walking home soaking wet, his family reported the incident to the police.

His attackers – initially believed to be a group of two or three youths – ran away laughing after the callous assault.

A force spokesman said this morning: "Police have charged an 18-year-old man in connection with an assault on a pensioner in Warrington.

"He has been charged with assault by beating – he has been bailed and will appear at Warrington Magistrates Court on May 19.

"The teenager was arrested on Wednesday, April 28, after he attended a police station.

"This charge relates to an assault that occurred between 2.30pm and 3pm on Sunday, April 25, on the banks of the Mersey involving a 74-year-old man.

"A 15-year-old boy has this morning, Thursday, attended a police station and been arrested on suspicion of assault - he is currently in police custody for questioning.

"The 15-year-old boy who was arrested on Wednesday, April 28, has been released with no further action for the assault.

"He has been released under investigation for the offence of possession with intent to supply cannabis."

An updated statement released this afternoon added: "The 15-year-old boy has been charged with common assault.

"He has been bailed and is due to appear at Warrington Magistrates Court on May 19."

Cheshire Police had previously appealed for the two Good Samaritans to come forward, but officers have since identified and spoken to the pair.

Sergeant Mark Spaven said on Tuesday: "This was a shocking and upsetting incident which has understandably left the gentleman shaken.

"He returned home freezing cold and had sustained a cut to his face due to banging his head as he fell into the water.

"We are determined to find those responsible and I am urging anyone who has any information or believes they know who did this to come forward."

Anyone with information is urged to contact the force on 101, quoting incident number IML973152, or to call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.