THE vandalism of Cromwell’s Cottage has led to widespread anger among residents of Warrington.

And that is because the Tudor building on Church Street is one of the town’s oldest and most famous landmarks.

Here, we take a look at its centuries of fascinating history.

The grade two-listed building now houses an Indian restaurant – aptly named the Cottage – which opened following a lengthy, National Trust approved renovation of the premises in the early noughties.

Whilst frequently referred to as Cromwell’s Cottage, Oliver Cromwell is only thought to have stayed the night at the now demolished General Wolf close by on August 20, 1648.

However, the cottage is where he sent dispatches proclaiming victories over Scottish Royalists during battles at Preston, Winwick and Warrington itself.

Read our live coverage from today here

Warrington Guardian:

The statue of Oliver Cromwell on Bridge Foot

Today, a plaque commemorates that fact – with Cromwell’s victory at the Battle of Winwick Pass leading to the surrender of Scots forces on August 25.

The defeat of Royalist armies in the north of England ultimately hastened the end of the second English Civil War, and led to the execution of Charles I in January 1649.

It is believed that the cottage dates back to roughly the 16th century, according to a 2007 Warrington Borough Council report – which states that the building was constructed in a ‘late medieval style’ after the road’s original middle-age structures were destroyed.

Warrington Guardian:

Similar characteristics can be attributed to the other Tudor cottages on Church Street, with the nearby Bull’s Head and Marquis of Granby pubs remaining as the street’s oldest surviving buildings.

The same report also outlines how the building was originally three dwellings, but was converted into one residence.

All of this came before it was acquired by Rylands in 1938 and converted into their board dining room, only for the premises to become offices later on.

The future use of the cottage was in limbo by the turn of the millennium.

Cromwell’s Eating House was a successful tenant before it closed in the mid-90s, with plans to turn the building into an Italian restaurant in 1999 not coming to fruition.

By 2000, proposals wanted to turn the premises into a table dancing club.

Eventually, the Cottage opened in its present guise around 2002 and has been one of the town’s most popular Indian restaurants since.