IT did not get much better than this at the time.

Seventy years ago today, Warrington nilled two-times winners Widnes in the Challenge Cup Final at Wembley.

Not only was the 19-0 success on May 6, 1950, the first time The Wire had won the prestigious competition for 43 years, it was their maiden triumph at Wembley on the third time of trying.

Warrington Guardian:

Warrington fans in the 94,249 crowd lapped up what was a seventh successive victory against their fierce rivals, and a third Challenge Cup triumph since it was established in 1896-97.

Warrington Guardian:

This 10th appearance in the final was over by half-time, with The Wire assembling a 14-0 lead that Widnes never looked likely to overturn.

Domination was established not long after Prime Minister Clement Attlee had shaken hands with the teams, as long raking kicks by Lance Todd Trophy-wining man-of-the-match Gerry Helme set the tone.

Warrington Guardian:

The scrum-half produced one of his best performances for his hometown club, but he was among 12 other heroes - not least Harry Bath, who became the first overseas captain to lift the cup at Wembley.

Warrington Guardian: Warrington Guardian: Warrington Guardian:

And the points, in the first nilling dished out by The Wire that year, followed on the back of the platform set by the forwards and Helme's boot work, with a drop-goal from Harold 'Moggy' Palin breaking the deadlock after 15 minutes - soon after he had missed a penalty attempt.

Palin soon added a penalty from 35 yards though after a Widnes scrum offence and four minutes later a captain's try truly set The Wire on their way.

Watch the match highlights here:

After Gerry Lowe was tackled short of the try line, Bath ploughed through defenders from first receiver and carried two more over the line with him.

And with Palin converting from wide out, The Wire led 9-0 after 22 minutes.

A break from a scrum by Bryn Knowelden continued by the supporting Helme led to Ron Ryder flying over for the next try 11 minutes later and Palin wrapped up the first-half scoring with his second penalty success shortly before the break.

Warrington Guardian:

The advantage was extended midway through the second half with Palin's boot adding two more penalty points and Knowelden crossed for the final try in the 67th minute after haring on to a reverse pass by Helme and holding off defenders to reach the line.

Warrington Guardian:

It was an afternoon of mixed fortunes for the Naughton family.

Ally joined Warrington, aged 20, from Widnes for a world record transfer fee of £4,600 a few months into the season, a campaign that ended with the centre playing against his brother Johnny at Wembley.

Warrington Guardian:

Their sibling Danny, a Widnes player at the time but later joined Ally at The Wire, was one of four forwards to miss the final due to being on a slow boat to Australia with the Great Britain tourists.

His Widnes teammate Fred Higgins and Warrington pair Bob Ryan and Jim Featherstone were the others to disappointingly miss out despite being stars of their respective sides.

The Warrington team on that glorious day: Les Jones; Brian Bevan, Ron Ryder, Ally Naughton, Albert Johnson; Bryn Knowelden, Gerry Helme, Bill Derbyshire, Ike Fishwick, Ron Fisher, Harry Bath, Gerry Lowe, Harold Palin.

The team received a glorious reception when they returned home with the cup.

Warrington Guardian:

It should be noted that Warrington's defence was top notch throughout the competition, with no side scoring more than seven points past them in any of the rounds.

That included Leeds, who The Wire overhauled 16-4 in front of 70,198 fans in the semi-final at Odsal Stadium in Bradford.

Hull KR were sent packing 12-2 away and 24-4 in the two-legged first round, then Swinton bit the dust 17-2 and Hunslet fell 21-7.

For the record, Widnes had defeated Bradford 8-0 in their semi-final at Central Park in Wigan.

It was an exciting period to be a supporter of The Wire.

Two years earlier a first Championship had been won, along with the Lancashire League.

The team pushed for honours the season after as well, winning the Lancashire League as well as reaching the finals of the Championship and the Lancashire Cup - which proved to be the same story in 1950-51.

Then came The Wire's finest hour in 1953-54 when they pulled off the Championship and Challenge Cup double, as well as securing the Lancashire League.

Cec Mountford's side backed that up in 1955 with the club's last Championship title along with again bagging the Lancashire League silverware.