AN Orford man was involved in what a judge described as a ‘shocking’ robbery in a Bridge Street takeaway.

Declan Heaps, aged 19 and of Longford Street, played a ‘minor’ role in the incident on October 10, in which a man was attacked and had his possessions stolen.

The co-offender, Michael Ward, was sentenced in February for the robbery which happened in a takeaway shop.

In Liverpool Crown Court on Friday, prosecutor David Balglase revealed how the victim lived in Sunderland and was visiting Warrington for work.

Both Heaps and Ward had been drinking heavily in the town, stating they were ’10 out of 10 on a scale of drunkenness’, and left the pub at about 9.30pm to get some food.

CCTV footage taken on Bridge Street showed Heaps pointing towards the takeaway and, after speaking with Ward, they both entered.

Ward walked up to the victim and set upon him, punching him in the head and knocking him to the floor.

The victim was then asked to empty his pockets onto the counter, which included a mobile phone, e-cigarette and his wallet.

These were then pocketed by the defendants, who ran off and were arrested near Warrington Central Station.

The victim was left with a cut and bruising to his left eye, along with bruising to his nose, ribs and back.

He was also said to be ‘confused’ by the robbery as he should have been able to buy food without fear of attack and was left ‘looking over his shoulder’ about what might happen next.

Jeremy Rawson, defending, said of Heaps: “He had a great deal to drink that night and acted in a wholly inappropriate manner.

“As well as pleading guilty, he has shown remorse and regret over his actions, is of a good background and has supportive parents.”

READ > Mum-of-three dies aged 37 only three years after husband's sudden death

In sentencing Judge Brian Cummings QC, said: “Although the co-defendant played the major role in the robbery, you started or instigated it by pointing.

“This led to a shocking incident involving a vulnerable victim when you were both under the influence of alcohol.”

Heaps was sentenced to three years in a young offender’s institution, with half to be served on licence.