THE funeral of former Warrington Wolves director Clarrie Owen has been arranged.

Mourners will pay their respects to Clarrie, who died, aged 95 on the weekend before Christmas, at Walton Lea Crematorium on Monday, January 14, at 3pm.

His association with the club goes back 85 years. He was The Wire’s senior honorary vice president, having previously served as president and director.

Warrington Guardian:

Before retirement, Clarrie worked in the leather industry and travelled the country. His connections in Cumbria and South Wales attracted many a player to Warrington.

In his years on the board between 1983 and 1991 he was the director of scouting and responsible for signing 35 young players, 12 of whom progressed to play for Great Britain under 21s.

Warrington Guardian:

Among those players were Gary Chambers, Chris Rudd, Neil Harmon, Gary Sanderson, Phil Sumner, Steve Molloy, Robert Turner and Paul Darbyshire, who were brought to the club as teenagers.

It was through Clarrie’s contacts that schoolboy internationals Iestyn Harris and Paul Sculthorpe signed for The Wire in the early 1990s.

Clarrie became a dedicated servant to The Wire and the sport of rugby league in numerous administrative roles.

From 1976 to 1982, he was chairman of the fund-raising Primrose Association and was a member of the Testimonial committees for Derek Whitehead and Parry Gordon.

In March 1983 he joined the board on the same day as past chairman, Peter Higham, and vice-chairman, Bill Garratt.

Clarrie served as president of Lancashire County Rugby League in the 1990-91 season and then continued to represent Warrington at county level. And he represented the club on the Alliance management committee, serving the ‘A’ team organising group for many years as chairman.

He often wrote match reports of Wire's reserve team matches, especially those away from home, for publication in Warrington Guardian.

In 2007, Clarrie received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the All Parliamentary Rugby League Group for his services to the sport.

Clarrie’s first match watching Warrington came in the 1932-33 season, while his last game was the Super 8s home clash versus Catalans Dragons last August.

Warrington Guardian:

Clarrie pictured with club mascot Wolfie at The Halliwell Jones Stadium last season. Picture: Bob Brough

He was accompanied by his late wife Irene at matches and they were regulars at the Challenge Cup Finals as well as all the major rugby league events.

Warrington Guardian:

Clarrie taking his seat next to his late wife Irene in the North Stand for a match at The Halliwell Jones Stadium in 2007